• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Burning THAC0] B2: The Keep on the Borderlands (ooc/setup)

Mathalus

First Post
I like that. Let's not worry too much about back story.

How about a really basic understanding like this:

Vellekhyr and Ferrantos are traveling together from Master Vide's.

They meet Aurvang on the road, and help show him the way to the Keep near the Caves of Chaos he wants to see so badly. Ferrantos is from Karameikos, and Vellekhyr has a bit of a network up here, so it's easy to see why.

Avros and Constance are at an inn two days from the Keep along with some other folks. They may not have made each other's acquaintance yet, but they are both waiting for the next traveling party to come through. This close to the Borderlands it's considered suicide to travel alone. (There are like 1 million hobgoblins out there, think random encounters in D&D).

When the artificer, elf, and dwarf arrive at the inn they are given the same warning, so they are happy to have Avros, Constance and the other travelers along.

Feeling that the party is large enough, everyone makes the two day trek. When it's discovered that Vellekhyr has some form of tenacious Borderland lice from the bed he took at the inn, he is forced to burn his clothing and put his head through his traveling blanket as a poncho. Of course as an elf, the whole thing comes off looking surprisingly dignified.

The party arrives at the Keep the next day. Cue the intro. Let's play.

(Suggest edits as necessary).

Pablohoney

First Post
I like that, Mathalus. Just so you guys know I'm wrapping up a project for work that's been kicking my ass these last couple days. I'm planning to sit down with Avros tomorrow evening and finish him up.

Mathalus

First Post
No worries about Avros. We'll be futzing around this keep for a bit, I'm sure.

Also, maybe Vellekhyr could roll Oratory (4 dice), or attempt a beginner's luck roll for Intimidation (6 dice, double Ob). Just roll those dice. Tests will improve you. Of course you've got to understand that if you fail, then he will dislike you. Always escalate!

engrishonly

First Post
The Corporal of the Watch can be a minor character... or he can be put behind you. Part of the module is that element of creativity. In the old Basic D&D B2, you could try to raise a small army from the men-at-arms of the Keep & try to invade the Caves of Chaos en masse... but there's just loose "stuff" thrown together. It's not all scripted out like modern D&D modules.

The Corporal of the Watch is simply described as a grouchy guy with low Charisma, who happens to be "easily taken in by a pretty girl". There's no name attached to the title, although I have some more personality pieces in the description (which I basically transform into Beliefs & Instincts without specifically writing them all out).

(I picked Georg as the name, loosely based on the quasi-Greek of the Grand Duchy of Karameikos. It also helps that the default uniform for the men-at-arms is blue.)

So, in short, no need to roll dice unless you have a specific kind of intent, in the manner of a Building Scene kind of event (like Burning Empires).

engrishonly

First Post
First, the scene starts as Color. The concept is just there to spark ideas & interests.

It comes alive when you identify drama, or when I ask for dice/something. By throwing dice, you tell me, "This is important. This is where we build drama." I guess this is what I mean by Building.

Throw dice because you want to mark an important part of the story. When I hear dice, I am thinking, "Okay, I'll have to expand on this part of the game."

So does Vellekhyr badger this guard for a bit, while we move on, or does the guard send him packing? Or both?

The Corporal of the Watch will send him to the gaol... err, jail, to meditate on his ways. The rest of you will move on to the tavern, where you can do whatever... including converse with Auromos.

I'll move it along in my next post.

Last edited:

I"m not completely sure how to handle this, so correct me if I'm wrong.

while Ferranatos and the others chat up Auromos, Aurvang is going to drink... a lot. After his first drink, paid for by Ferranatos, he'll sidle up to anyone (another dwarf if there is one) who looks like they might be a rought and tumble sort. My intent is to impress the patrons of the tavern by outdrinking the surliest sort there. I'd like to make a drinking test.

Mathalus

First Post
You might have to wait one. I currently have a Resources of zero, so it might be hard for me to buy that drink. You are welcome to Help me persuade my brother for moola though. Otherwise your plan is perfect.

Poor Vellekhyr, don't worry, we'll get you sprung.

Last edited:

You might have to wait one. I currently have a Resources of zero, so it might be hard for me to buy that drink. You are welcome to Help me persuade my brother for moola though. Otherwise your plan is perfect.

Poor Vellekhry, don't worry, we'll get you sprung.

Sounds like a good plan. I don't have any applicable skill, so I'll have to go Beginner's Luck Persuasion maybe. Unless of course, I can use Drunking, but that would require getting drunk first, which is why I'm tagging along with you in the first place. Ha.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads