• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Burning THAC0] B2: The Keep on the Borderlands (ooc/setup)

I like the duality of the Paladin's relationship with Constance too. I also agree a range weapon might be a good idea. I just don't have the skill points to do it with Aurvang, so unfortunately he will be standing around during Range and Cover.

Pablohoney - I'm not sure how many resource points you have, but you might consider a relationship with a church official residing in the Keep; could be friendly or hostile. It could be a good way to get a lead on church corruption in the Keep.

engrishonly

First Post
Beliefs:
My Faith is a gift and I must not abuse it. I will only use it to heal those on the verge of death.
Loyalty is a bond as deep as blood. I will bring to justice any who betray me or my companions.

There's a free sample chapter from the Adventure Burner that is helpful for writing Beliefs. I don't have the link handy, but the PDF is in the downloads section of the BW wiki.

I like the tone of those Beliefs. I can see how I can use them in the game.

I would like a Belief tied to the Situation - why does your Paladin want to explore/purge the Caves of Chaos? What is driving him forward into the dungeon?

I'll think on these some more.

Instincts:
Always protect Constance in battle (or the weakest ally).

Protect the weakest is good.

Ideas for others...
A typical Instinct is "When (event), use (skill)".
So, it's something like, "Whenever I am at a social gathering, be Conspicuous" or "Tell Falsehoods when someone asks me to talk about myself".

Another typical one is the item instinct. "Always sleep with a knife under my pillow", for instance.

Voidrazor

First Post
Aurvang is going to have a field day with the naked elf. I can already pictures drunken (and sober) grumblings ... "no decency... pointy parts stickin' out every which way... how's an upright dwarf supposed to focus on killing monsters when the forest-frolicker is prancing around naked like a nymph?... I need another drink... barkeep!" :)

Should be amusing. I know how Vellekhyr will respond. But rathing than saying, it should be more fun to play out.

Certainly Constance has plenty of clothes, but they are unlikely to fit Vellekhyr. She'll keep offering though, because it's funny.

Its an odd place to go, but I could see V. being more keen to take a stab at reworking some of Constance's finery than stabbing some animal for rough furs.

Name: Avros
Concept/Bio: A weapon of the Church of Traladara
Instincts:
Always protect Constance in battle (or the weakest ally).

Welcome! You may want to have an instinct that will occasionally get Avros in trouble. Aside from the fun of creating plot complications from your character's personality quirks, it can also earn you Fate points.

I like this Paladin. I think you have a solid concept, which makes everything easier. I think it's interesting how young he turned out. You should play that up. Also, can I make a suggestion for your third belief? Make it something you can knock out in a session or two. Maybe even something that can be done at the keep. One of the better ways to get artha is completing a goal. Think of what your character lacks that can be remedied fairly soon.

Also, I might suggest opening a missile weapon skill. I think our party might use the Range and Cover rules a bit, and you won't want to just stand around. Although Aurvang doesn't have one either.

Good suggestion on the third belief. I keep this in mind as well in coming to a final decision on mine. BTW, I did decide on a replacement instinct, that follows my advice above, "When humans do not do as I wish, remind them, by deeds or words, that they are a race of children."

I disagree about Avros needing to open a ranged weapon skill however. His B6 Agility should already make for a decent default, and he probably won't be able to afford a melee weapon, armor and a missile weapon, not to mention relationships, reputation, traveling gear, and, err, clothes.

I've not read the Song of Ice & Fire, so sadly I cannot incorporate it without you suggesting themes, which you are obliged to do in your Beliefs & Instincts.

The Keep... It's a trading post, it's the important boundary between the civilized & the barbarous. I don't know if the Castellan of the Keep is a good guy or an enemy, and none of you have bought the relationship.

I'm content to let the Keep evolve/emerge through play.

I've been thinking about how Vellekhyr's belief, "The stars have shown that my companions are the key to keeping the conflict between houses limited to human lands. I must draw them into the intrigue while watching their backs." might play out. I'm not sure what the opportunities for intrigue will be at the keep before going to the caves. Something may emerge organically, or not. But if we were to find a vein of mithril (or some other mystical ore) in the caves, it could spur a lot of plotlines at once. Ferrantos could use it for his blade, if he could retain rights to the find while arranging to get the ore mined. It would be a source of prestige among the dwarves and tempt Aurvang's Greed. Constance may see it as an opportunity to either take advantage of men's folly or to acquire dwarven secrets. For Vellekhyr it would be both disaster and opportunity. The find could ignite both Traladarian and Thyatian interest in the area, causing both to press their claim on the area. This is all somewhat similar to the situation with the axe, but would probably play out over a larger time scale.

Oh, and I strongly recommend picking up A Game of Thrones. Its the first book in George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. It is almost universally regarded as the best fantasy series of all time.

Last edited:

engrishonly

First Post
I've been thinking about how Vellekhyr's belief, "The stars have shown that my companions are the key to keeping the conflict between houses limited to human lands. I must draw them into the intrigue while watching their backs." might play out. I'm not sure what the opportunities for intrigue will be at the keep before going to the caves. Something may emerge organically, or not. But if we were to find a vein of mithril (or some other mystical ore) in the caves, it could spur a lot of plotlines at once. Ferrantos could use it for his blade, if he could retain rights to the find while arranging to get the ore mined. It would be a source of prestige among the dwarves and tempt Aurvang's Greed. Constance may see it as an opportunity to either take advantage of men's folly or to acquire dwarven secrets. For Vellekhyr it would be both disaster and opportunity.

I've got a microdungeon from Tony Dowler's "dungeon a day" blog picked out for the thing that might cover these bases. (The original module has some areas that are left up to the DM's imagination, so you have to fill them in)

No mithril vein, although I can add one. I can provide the rumors that lead to this microdungeon, but the point of the Keep as the first stop has always been to populate the setting with rumor & half-truth.

This is why Thor's advice for the Keep on the Borderlands is to write the third Belief after you've been around the Keep.

EDIT: To be clear, there's a microdungeon that fits in the space between the Caves of Chaos & the Cave of the Unknown that covers the situation for Thror's Axe, Ferrantos' blade antecedent, Constance's secrets, and Vellekhyr's intrigues. You can find the rumors for it at the Keep, or I can tell you now.

Last edited:

engrishonly

First Post
Some quick background info. The Church of Traladara is the old religion of the region. The Church of Karameikos is a hybrid religion formed by the Thyatians when they took over. My thought is that there are certain sects of the Church of Traladara that believe this new religion has overstepped it's bounds by profitting through the sale of pardons. They believe this is unjust and must be stopped at all costs, even if that means violence. The Order of the Sword is one such sect, and I plan for Avros to affiliate with it. This puts me in conflict with Constance, but whether I know this at the start or not is up in the air.

Why not create a Belief about this one? It puts Avros more squarely at odds with Constance... which is a positive, I think. Complexity in the party's internal relationships makes for a richer experience.

Here's the Beliefs commentary chapter:
Downloads - Burning Wiki

The Order of the Sword sounds like a fine affiliation/reputation for Avros...

Mathalus

First Post
The intro sort of makes it sound like we are all together. I know that Vellekhyr and Ferrantos are coming here together. Is Constance already at the Keep? Are Aurvang and Avros hanging out there already, or would you like to meet on the road?

engrishonly

First Post
I'd prefer if you were all traveling together, at least for now. The less splintering you do as a party, the better.

Also, I want all the introductions to have been made already so that we can avoid the "sitting around in the tavern" bit.

Maybe assume you all meet on the road/prior to that, at the pre-arranged day & time. Perhaps at some other tavern/inn, perhaps even in Specularum... where many ships from elsewhere come to dock. Traveling through the outlands/Borderlands from outside Karameikos to get to the Keep is a far more difficult journey.

Anybody got ideas of how we could all get together? For Aurvang, I was thinking that he is on leave from his duties with the Host. He decided to go to the Keep, and the Caves of Chaos, in search of Thror's Axe to gain renown, wealth, and maybe a lucky dwarfette. He also needs to find out what happened to his cousin, Gloi, who's unit he heard never came back out of the Caves. that's reason enough for him to go there. As for traveling with you folks, hmmmm. Since the journey is rather long and treacherous we could all have been in the same caravan or something. I could see Aurvang making nice over some drinks, particularly with Constance, and maybe Ferranatos. Vellykhyr is already associated with the wizard, so I'm just missing the paladin. Could the paladin be traveling with Constance?

Oh yeah, I was going to ask. Does anyone know how to set up automatic email notifications for thread updates? I changed my thread subscription to Instant Notification, but I never get ANY notifications. It's annoying.

engrishonly

First Post
My only advice is to not think so hard about backstory that doesn't have forward-looking implications. If the party is together, and there isn't any big reasons for them to be/not to be, then it is kind of irrelevant to the game. Just think of all the random reasons why you have the friends that you do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads