• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Burning THAC0] B2: The Keep on the Borderlands (ooc/setup)

engrishonly

First Post
I am a player in an old school 1st ed game already. do you know about the OSRIC?

I've heard about it, but I didn't really consider using it.

What AD&D did is great, but the style of it is more towards simulation & task-resolution. A lot of the greatness of DnD wasn't codified (and probably should never be written down as rules to allow for player creativity).

The Burning Wheel has a modern focus on character & player storytelling, but that doesn't rule out old school dungeon delving.

Voidrazor

First Post
Ooh! I've been wanting to play some Burning X. The system seems very cool, and should lend itself well to PbP. And dipping a toe in with with Burning THAC0 is probably the best way to go.

• How much experience you have with Burning Wheel, Burning Empires, and/or Mouse Guard.
    I read BE and BW a year or so ago. I also made a BW character for a PbP game that never started.
  • Generally, what's your prior experience with the Keep on the Borderlands (for Basic D&D) &/or the Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (for AD&D 2e)... And would you be annoyed at "changes" to the Keep/Caves of Chaos?
    I haven't played or read either Keep or its sequel.
  • If you've been to the Keep on the Borderlands before, what's your fondest memory of the adventure? What was the weakest part of the experience?
    N/A
  • Ditto to the general setting of Karameikos, as well as Mystara.
    I read a little online.
  • What class/race (racial class, for red box DnD) you'd play if this was a DnD game. And what DnD alignment.
    I'd probably play a magic user. But given how awesomely Tolkien-esque the BW elves are, that's what I'd like to play in this game.
  • What other PbP games you're a part of, and what amount of PbP experience you have.
    My sig has a listing of the ones I've played here, all of which have sadly died. I'm in a couple over at Brilliant Gameologists currently. Anyway, I'm very comfortable with PbP.
  • Why you're interested in this game & what you're hoping to get out of the experience.
    As I mentioned I've been wanting to play BW for a while. I love how its structured to have a large degree of character involvement. And the Duel of Wits and Fight! systems seem to be way cool. I'd love to get into some political intrigue. But failing that, developing an interesting dynamic between the PC's while doing a more or less standard dungeon crawl is draw enough.

engrishonly

First Post
For everyone, the concept thing...

The Keep on the Borderlands involves a dungeon "sandbox", so character concept should be based on classic fantasy adventurer stories. A happy, settled person isn't really the adventuring type.

So, find that idea inside you about someone who sets out on the uncertain path to excitement and adventure.

Ooh! I've been wanting to play some Burning X. The system seems very cool, and should lend itself well to PbP. And dipping a toe in with with Burning THAC0 is probably the best way to go.

• How much experience you have with Burning Wheel, Burning Empires, and/or Mouse Guard.
    I read BE and BW a year or so ago. I also made a BW character for a PbP game that never started.
  • What class/race (racial class, for red box DnD) you'd play if this was a DnD game. And what DnD alignment.
    I'd probably play a magic user. But given how awesomely Tolkien-esque the BW elves are, that's what I'd like to play in this game.

• Great!
    Just come up with a good concept, and I think you'll be all set.

There's a link to the Burning THAC0 doc, but it does not contain any sample 3-lifepath ideas for Elves.

I can give you ideas (the radically non-Basic Set D&D one is Born Etharch, Soldier-Protector (Elven Citadels setting), Sword Singer (Elven Protectors setting)), but since you have access to the books, go ahead and figure out what makes sense with whatever concept you come up with.

Last edited:

engrishonly

First Post
For those who want a little more oomph to kick start a concept, here's Gary Gygax's "background" piece for the Keep on the Borderlands... a fine introduction, and also a way to channel your concepts towards the sandbox that we have in front of us.

Gary Gygax said:
The Realm of mankind is narrow and constricted. Always the forces of Chaos press upon its borders, seeking to enslave its populace, rape its riches, and steal its treasures. If it were not for a stout few, many in the Realm would indeed fall prey to the evil which surrounds them. Yet, there are always certain exceptional and brave members of humanity, as well as similar individuals among its allies - dwarves, elves, and halflings - who rise above the common level and join battle to stave off the darkness which would otherwise overwhelm the land. Bold adventurers from the Realm set off for the Borderlands to seek their fortune. It is these adventurers who, provided they survive the challenge, carry the battle to the enemy. Such adventurers meet the forces of Chaos in a testing ground where only the fittest will return to relate the tale. Here, these individuals will become skilled in their profession, be it fighter or magic-user, cleric or thief. They will be tried in the fire of combat, those who return, hardened and more fit. True, some few who do survive the process will turn from Law and good and serve the masters of Chaos, but most will remain faithful and ready to fight chaos wherever it threatens to infect the Realm.

You are indeed members of that exceptional class, adventurers who have journeyed to the KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS in search of fame and fortune. Of course you are inexperienced, but you have your skills and a heart that cries out for adventure. You have it in you to become great, but you must gain experience and knowledge and greater skill. There is much to learn, and you are willing and eager to be about it! Each of you has come with everything which could possibly be given you to help. Now you must fend for yourselves; your fate is in your hands, for better or worse.

Ahead, up the winding road, atop a sheer-wailed mount of stone, looms the great KEEP. Here, at one of civilization’s strongholds between good lands and bad, you will base yourselves and equip for forays against the wicked monsters who lurk in the wilds. Somewhere nearby, amidst the dark forests and tangled fens, are the Caves of Chaos where fell creatures lie in wait. All this you know, but before you dare adventure into such regions you must become acquainted with the other members of your group, for each life will depend upon the ability of the others to cooperate against the common foe. Now, before you enter the grim fortress, is the time for introductions and an exchange of information, for fate seems to have decreed that you are to become an adventurous band who must pass through many harrowing experiences together on the path which leads towards greatness.

You have travelled for many days, leaving the Realm and entering into the wilder area of the Borderlands. Farms and towns have become less frequent and travellers few. The road has climbed higher as you enter the forested and mountainous country.

Voidrazor

First Post
The Born Etharch, Soldier-Protector, Sword Singer lifepath is intriguing but I'm leaning a bit more toward Born Etharch, Forrester (wilderness), Ranger (protector). Born under a prophecy that he (she?) would see Vyalia in flames, Vellekhyr has forgone his noble birthright to wander in self-imposed exile. He is haunted by grief, distrustful an stern, yet determined to forge those alliances that may save his homeland.

Sound workable?

Last edited:

engrishonly

First Post
The Born Etharch, Soldier-Protector, Sword Singer lifepath is intriguing but I'm leaning a bit more toward Born Etharch, Forrester (wilderness), Ranger (protector). Born under a prophecy that he (she?) would see Vyalia in flames, Vellekhyr has forgone his noble birthright to wander in self-imposed exile. He is haunted by grief, distrustful an stern, yet determined to forge those alliances that may save his homeland.

Sound workable?

Cool. Solid. Go ahead with that. Think about a Belief based on the loose ideas of my prior post (the Gary Gygax introduction), and write up a Belief based on Vellekhyr's exile. Your last Belief should be based on inter-party relationships.

Between your Elven Ranger & the Paladin, that's two solid working concepts so far.

Comments/mods...
Vyalia can be a significant city/province of Alfheim (the major Elven setting in early D&D Mystara), or perhaps the Elven name for Alfheim (which is what the Humans call it).

I want to preserve the name "Alfheim" (even if it's a cheesy copy of Norse myth), but the rest of it can be scrapped & reworked for our purposes.

Voidrazor

First Post
I only chose Vyalia it was the cooler sounding of the two names of elven clans mentioned on the Mystara wiki. I was way into the Norse mythos as a kid, so Alfheim is awesome.

I hope its OK if I take a while to let Vellekyr's beliefs percolate. It would be nice to get a better feeling for the character, the other PC's, and the world before committing.

engrishonly

First Post
I only chose Vyalia it was the cooler sounding of the two names of elven clans mentioned on the Mystara wiki. I was way into the Norse mythos as a kid, so Alfheim is awesome.

I hope its OK if I take a while to let Vellekyr's beliefs percolate. It would be nice to get a better feeling for the character, the other PC's, and the world before committing.

Heh, I've probably read less of the Mystara wiki than you! I think most of the map will be "empty" until we fill it in through play... So use whatever names & plots you like to bring out your character.

I don't plan for any giant happenings in Mystara until the player characters need something to do.

(There may very well be plots & happenings within the sandbox of the game, however).

Okay, I'll help get the others going.

Perhaps the game will just go with 3. (And no thief! Or sorceror!)

engrishonly

First Post
I did a bit of reading (thank you Wikipedia). I am pulled to be a Traladaran paladin: Village Born, Temple Acolyte, Bannerman. I do not know these lifepath categories. He is pulled (is this a Belief?) to search for the heritage and ancient dignity of his people in the ruins around Karameiko. His is protective of those of his village and would be more likely to follow a Traladaran (are there such) than the current law. He is of a ancient noble family, but has had a pretty gritty existence in the village.
How is that for a start?
Maybe he has heard that this an artifact out in the ruins that details the culture of ancients, which would interest him.

Alright... The nuts and bolts of it, as we wait for others.

Village Born, leads to Religious Setting, to Temple Acolyte, leads to Professional Soldier, to Bannerman

8 pts to divide between Will & Perception
17 pts to divide between Power, Forte, Agility, Speed
(See the intro chapter PDF for info about these basic abilities & what they mean)

9 pts for lifepath skills:
Conspicuous*, Doctrine, Read*, Riding, Sword, Temple-wise, Write, Armor Training**
(* Required, ** Costs 2 pts to unlock & does not advance)

Plus, 3 General skill points
(Can be spent on any general skill or any lifepath skill. Ask if you are looking for something. Oratory (speaking to a crowd) and/or Persuasion (convincing individuals) may be something you want)

Conspicuous is the skill to make yourself seen, and to stand out in a crowd.
Doctrine is knowledge/lore about the religious faith.
Temple-wise (and any "wise") is the BW style of knowledge skill.
Armor Training eliminates some movement penalties for wearing heavier armor.

Traits: Tonsured, Faithful, Honored, plus 2 extra points

Tonsured means your character has shaved his head as part of the rites of joining the Order
Faithful unlocks the ability to call on Faith
Honored is a characteristic of a bannerman. The expectation of this character trait is that the character must represent someone who truly deserves to be honored.

This is just another step, but the concept seemed good.

The toughest part is in writing Beliefs & Instincts.

Last edited:

Remove ads