• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

By Popular Request: Rodney Thompson's Session Prep Examples

WotC's Rodney Thompson spoke the other day about creating a session cheat/prep sheet for a game of D&D. It sparked some lively discussion, and a number of people asked for examples of a prep sheet. Rodney, being that kind of guy, obliged and provided his session prep from a Greyhawk campaign. It's five pages long, and should give you a great idea of what he means.

WotC's Rodney Thompson spoke the other day about creating a session cheat/prep sheet for a game of D&D. It sparked some lively discussion, and a number of people asked for examples of a prep sheet. Rodney, being that kind of guy, obliged and provided his session prep from a Greyhawk campaign. It's five pages long, and should give you a great idea of what he means.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Trum

First Post
Wow! Congrats to your players, they have a great DM!

So much work, I can hardly make one sheet of notes for each session, and they are definitely not as comprehensive.

werecorpse

Adventurer
There are a few comments about how much work goes into the prep sheet. Does anyone have an idea of how frequently this game is/was played? If it's say only once every three or four weeks then it's not such a big deal. If it's weekly that's a lot of work.

Iosue

Legend
I'm reminded of, say, playing softball with someone who used to be a star high school baseball player, maybe with some minor league pro or semi-pro experience before washing out. And while everyone else is playing at the level of middle-aged hobby softball, sometimes striking out, grounding out, or making an error or two, that person is hitting every ball on screws, fielding everything hit near him, and making crisp, accurate throws.

Or, when a professional cook or chef makes dinner for friends. Or when you see a professional musician noodling around, and while you need sheet music to play, they are just banging out requests by ear. Basically, Rodney's a pro. This is what he does to eat. He's got habits developed from having to do this kind of thing at work, and he just naturally does them in his home game, too. He's got shortcuts to write things out faster, and his neural pathways are primed far more than most for the spilling out of game material.

All of which is to say, I don't think Rodney's advice, nor his example sheet here, are unsuitable for beginning DMs. I think we're just seeing the effect that doing this for a living has on one's home game.

Paraxis

Explorer
I don't think Rodney is a pro DM, I mean he is a professional game designer and a good DM but I think your analogy is off. I have played under DM's that have done better and with much less game prep than some of the sessions of Rodney you can see via twitch and stuff.

While his notes and session prep are great for him, let's not try and make a superstar out of the guy or anything.

Sadras

Legend
I don't think Rodney is a pro DM, I mean he is a professional game designer and a good DM but I think your analogy is off. I have played under DM's that have done better and with much less game prep than some of the sessions of Rodney you can see via twitch and stuff.

While his notes and session prep are great for him, let's not try and make a superstar out of the guy or anything.

Good point and I agree. I have played under DMs that build amazing adventures from just 5 lines of prep.

Remove ads

Remove ads