By sheer volume, who created the most D&D Art?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Over all editions? Are we including Dragon and Dungeon? Do we care that Dungeon and Dragon were both published by Paizo before their demise?

Because D&D's been around long enough that a number of the early (OD&D, B/X, 1 & 2) contenders will have retired and been lost to the new generation. Even a number of the mid-edition (3.x, 4e) contenders might have retired at this point.

GreyOne

Explorer
Over all editions? Are we including Dragon and Dungeon? Do we care that Dungeon and Dragon were both published by Paizo before their demise?

Because D&D's been around long enough that a number of the early (OD&D, B/X, 1 & 2) contenders will have retired and been lost to the new generation. Even a number of the mid-edition (3.x, 4e) contenders might have retired at this point.
Yeah, I was thinking the older stuff since I posted in this forum but any edition is fine I guess.

aco175

Legend
Here is a nice site I noticed talking about these 5. Clyde Caldwell, Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Keith Parkinson and Daniel R Horne as some of the most featured in pre 3e days. There are some great samples of their art as well. I recognize the art from Daniel Horne, but he is not one I ever think of, sadly.

I'm thinking the real answer is one of the comic book artists that makes 6 pictures per page and 32 pages per comic times 100 comics in the series.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
I forgot about the comic books. I was thinking it would be limited to the official DnD publisher materials, and as far as I know the DnD/FR comics were not published by TSR/WotC, but by Marvel(? I think). There also the problem of what constitutes a "piece of art" for a comic book. Given that artists generally sell pages, and not panels, the count would be much lower. But would probably still swamp the tally.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've no idea of the actual answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if those artists whose style was used for a setting are up near the top. I guess there were artists who also filled early edition rules books, like the artist who did most (all?) the art in the Rules Cyclopedia.

Remove ads