Caliphate Nights, True 20, and other fun stuff!

shaylon

First Post
So I recently picked up the True 20 adventure roleplaying book, and I bought Tales of the Caliphate Nights at Origins.

I had the opportunity to play a freeport module using the True20 rules and I must say I was impressed! The combat feels like it flows much faster than d20, the Conviction points are helpful, especially for Adepts.

Look for more info at True20's website

I am still reading through Caliphate Nights but initial impressions are great! Aaron Infante-Levy really did his research on this book, and even the things that he migrated to the time period (coffeehouses for example) feel like they fit. The archetypes look good and I cannot wait to run something using this setting as a backdrop.

What are your thoughts on True20 and Caliphate Nights? Have you used the True20 rules in a d20 setting? Please relate your experiences!

Last edited:

I think True20 is a pretty cool system. I agree that it feels a little more streamlined in play, although it definitely has more in common with d20 than with most rules-light systems. I like the wound system (it plays better than it reads), I like conviction and nature, and I like the way they used feats (i.e. less emphasis on feat chains and getting to pick a new feat each level). I think it's good that True20 is close enough to d20 to allow easy importing of crunch, and easy use of d20 adventures, etc. I like its flexibility, too; it's kind of a "kit system" that's easy to tweak and tailor (e.g. no magic, low magic, modern, sci-fi, etc).

I can't say that I was interested in the campaign settings they included. Actually, the True20 setting that really caught my eye is Arthur Lives!, which is apparently still in development (but you can find a thread about it on Green Ronin's True20 forums).

I looked at True20 at the same time I was looking into some other systems. I ended up picking something else for my main "heroic fantasy" campaign (C&C), but I'm developing some historical mini-campaigns with True20. I think it's perfect for those, since they tend to be no magic or low magic, have a gritty combat focus, et cetera.

bento

Explorer
I've bought several True20 books so far (Blue Rose, True20 System, Bestiary and Fantasy Paths) and am waiting the opportunity to migrate my group over to using it. Most of them are first time gamers who've only experienced D&D 3.5 so far.

Last Fall I ran an Oriental Adventure story arc and I'm porting this from D20 to True20 in a few months. That's why I'm eager to see Land of the Crane that's coming out with the next set of campaign worlds.

I really like the system for the same reasons - speeding up combat, using action points to do more outrageous things, and streamlining feats and skills. Also spells can drain you and if you get injured it gets harder to fight - makes sense to me. It's fairly easy to port things over from D&D3.5, so you don't feel like you wasted any money on books if you go over to True 20.

Yes - lots of hope for this system.

Karl Green

First Post
I have been running a bi-weekly True20 Fading Suns games for about 2 months now (my early conversions are over in the d20 OGL section... back a month or two ago) and so far it is going great. I posted a story hour over on the True20 site also, but I am two games behind now :( must update.

I very much like the True20 and Blue Rose systems, they are pretty cool.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
shaylon said:
I am still reading through Caliphate Nights but initial impressions are great! Aaron Infante-Levy really did his research on this book, and even the things that he migrated to the time period (coffeehouses for example) feel like they fit.

That would be an example of his excellent research rather than something he migrated :) The arabians have had a millenia-long love affair with coffee. Ethiopian traders brought it to Yemen, I think, in about the sixth century.

Remove ads