[Call of Cthulhu] Dreamlands as a campaign setting?

Neko Princex

Explorer
I know there have been a few CoC books detailing the Dreamlands. I have yet to add them into my collection, but they are on my list to get. I am curious how usable the Dreamlands are as a stand-alone campaign setting. What other books outside of Chaosiums' COC system are good for fleshing out and breathing more life into the Dreamlands?

MGibster

Legend
I know there have been a few CoC books detailing the Dreamlands. I have yet to add them into my collection, but they are on my list to get. I am curious how usable the Dreamlands are as a stand-alone campaign setting. What other books outside of Chaosiums' COC system are good for fleshing out and breathing more life into the Dreamlands?
It's been a few years, but Chaosium does have a book that details the Dreamlands and even makes suggestions on how they might be used in a campaign. I haven't thought about it in a long, long time, but it'd be interesting to have a campaign start out in the Dreamlands only for the PCs to wake up in the real world living completely different lives.

Neko Princex

Explorer
It's been a few years, but Chaosium does have a book that details the Dreamlands and even makes suggestions on how they might be used in a campaign. I haven't thought about it in a long, long time, but it'd be interesting to have a campaign start out in the Dreamlands only for the PCs to wake up in the real world living completely different lives.
My interest in using the Dreamlands is to actually use it independent of the waking world, so that the characters in the Dreamlands are their physical selves....physically born into the Dreamlands.

Tantavalist

Explorer
It's very possible to run the Dreamlands as a distinct setting that's a standard fantasy world rather than somewhere that people from our world visit in dreams. It would be simple enough to remove the Dreaming-Isekai aspect and just have characters be born in the Dreamlands.

The published Chaosium book I have on the Dreamlands provides more than enough information to do that. I'm not sure what the current edition has for Dreamlands but even older stuff would work for what you want.

Personally I'd use Barbarians of Lemuria rather than anything based on Chaosium's d100 system for a Dreamlands game. Outside of official Dreamlands stuff- there's a lot of OSR scenarios that are surreal and Gonzo enough to fit the Fever Dream tone of the Dreamlands.

Remove ads