Call of Cthulhu Saga Edition ;)

The_Gneech

Explorer
You may remember a while back I did a sword-and-sorcery kitbash of Star Wars Saga Edition; well, I've done it again for pulp-era mystery/horror and called it Uncanny Midnight Tales.

I'm quite pleased with it, and hope you will be too. Feedback is welcome and desired! So please check it out. :)

-The Gneech :cool:

The_Gneech

Explorer
Alas, the Saga Edition d20 variant is not OGL, so no. You could probably make something roughly equivalent using the Unearthed Arcana material in the SRD, but I haven't investigated that.

It's purely a fan work -- basically my house rules tossed onto a web site.

Stormborn

Explorer
Now this is what I have been talking about. Using the SAGA rules for things other than Star Wars. I am DLing this now, but have been thinking that with only a little effort to change fluff you could use the rules as is for a Steampunk/Pulp with a heavy dose of Noir type game. I have even gone so far as to start creating sample PCs. Here is one(feel free to correct my math):

Jack “Jack Hammer” Johnson

Jack was a soldier in the imperial army, where he excelled at only one thing: boxing. His often violent temper made him an ill fit for the regulated life of a soldier but, due to his success in regimental boxing grudge matches, he was allowed to end his time of service without a court martial. Afterwards he came to the city and attempted to get work as a laborer, only to discover that increasing use of droids made him, and an entire class of people, redundant. He soon found himself fighting in illegal street matches to make ends meet. It was there that he came into contact with the Black Sun. While he was willing to work with them, given the money he was making, he soon found they were setting him up for a fall. When he resisted taking a dive they kidnapped his best friend to ensure he would do what he was told in a championship match where he was heavily favored to win. He was going to do it. Until his temper got the best of him and he killed his opponent. The Black Sun killed his friend, but left him alive to “pay back” the money they lost on him. He lives day to day, doing whatever pays, so he can keep them off his back long enough to get revenge.

Human Soldier 5
Force Points:7 Dark Side Score: 3
Initiative: +8 Senses: Use The Force +7
Languages: Basic +1
Fort Defense: 19 Reflex Defense: 19 Will Defense:16
HP:72 Threshold: 19
Speed: 6
Melee Attack:+9 Unarmed Strike (Combat Gloves) 1d8+4
Ranged Attack:+6 Hold Out Pistol 3d4+2
BAB:+5 Grapple:
Atk Options:
Force Powers: Battle Strike, Dark Rage
Ability Scores: Str 15 Dex 12 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 10
Talents(3): Melee Smash, Stunning Strike, Equilibrium
Bonus Feat for being Human: Force Sensitivity
Character Level Feats (2): Force Training, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike)
Starting Class Feats: Armor Proficiency (light; medium), Weapon Proficiency (pistols; rifles; simple weapons)
Bonus Class Feats(2): Martial Arts I, Martial Arts II
Trained Skills: Endurance +9 Initiative +8 Use The Force +7

Given people going the Copyright path with 4e, I wonder how possible it is to do the same thing with Star Wars, just divorced from all of their IP.

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
YI'm quite pleased with it, and hope you will be too. Feedback is welcome and desired! So please check it out. :)

Good stuff... but have you thought about "genericizing" it to make it work for all kinds of "realistic" stuff, like Cthulhu or Modern? SAGA and your modifications seem to be a natural fit, as it always remains pretty "grounded" in terms of power.

Cheers, LT.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Very professionally done. Too bad SAGA isn't Open Content, this is publishable quality. The rules, setting and accessories were all top notch. Nice job. (However, the web site is a bit slow:heh:).

The_Gneech

Explorer
Given people going the Copyright path with 4e, I wonder how possible it is to do the same thing with Star Wars, just divorced from all of their IP.

Since the Saga Edition variant isn't OGL, you can't really do it for publication/selling without some significant revamping. The SRD contains a skill variant called "Maximum Ranks, Limited Choices" which is kinda-sorta what Saga Edition uses, and the "Players Roll All the Dice" rules is kinda-sorta how defense scores work -- so you could build a "Saga-Edition-esque" ruleset that was OGL-compatible, but it would be more work than I wanted to put into it. ;)

Good stuff... but have you thought about "genericizing" it to make it work for all kinds of "realistic" stuff, like Cthulhu or Modern? SAGA and your modifications seem to be a natural fit, as it always remains pretty "grounded" in terms of power.

Well, I wrote it for my own campaign, which is why it has the background and assumptions it does, but it wouldn't be too hard to genericize it. The main thing I would suggest is pulling out the Sanity mechanic (and associated feats). If you used it for anything set during WWII or later, you'd have to work up some decent bulletproof vests, but that probably wouldn't be too hard. I'd suggest having them provide DR 5 and +10 damage threshold. You'd also want to expand the firearms list to include more modern weapons and re-instate the Computer Use skill.

Since the Saga Edition variant isn't OGL, you can't really do it for publication/selling without some significant revamping. The SRD contains a skill variant called "Maximum Ranks, Limited Choices" which is kinda-sorta what Saga Edition uses, and the "Players Roll All the Dice" rules is kinda-sorta how defense scores work -- so you could build a "Saga-Edition-esque" ruleset that was OGL-compatible, but it would be more work than I wanted to put into it. ;)

I will note that Jason Kemp went to an awful lot of work to come up with a Saga inspired version of Sword & Sorcery rules. It's called Fantasy Concepts, and his s15 in the OGL is a monster. You can find it here: http://www.lulu.com/content/1444818

I don't have Star Wars Saga, but I do have Fantasy Concepts and it seems like a solid enough product.

Obviously it'd require a bit of change in order to use it for this, but it's a toolkit waiting to be exploited. If I ever get around to doing anything with your Sword and Sorcery Saga bit, I plan on just using Fantasy Concepts to power it.

Sorry for the hijack, just thought I'd mention it for anyone that's wanting some sort of OGL-knockoff of the rules and hoping to get it from either the S&S or CoC bits you've done.

Remove ads