• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

calls to prayer...

alsih2o

First Post
i wonder how the vocal minority of folks who see d+d as demonic would feel once they saw how many calls for prayer go out on these boards...

the biggest exposure i have to the christian lifestyle is thru these boards, and i live in the south!

just a thought.... :)

come to think about it, i wonder how they would respond to all the answers?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
SpuneDagr said:
I'm a Christian - and almost all the people I game with are also.
They're the ones who introduced me to it!

SpuneDagr

Eaxactly. My cousin games and he's in training to be a minister. A friend gamed while he was becoming a priest and even introduced it to all the priests, nuns, and other people in training there. They had weekly games set up.

kingpaul

First Post
alsih2o said:
i wonder how the vocal minority of folks who see d+d as demonic would feel once they saw how many calls for prayer go out on these boards...

<snip>

come to think about it, i wonder how they would respond to all the answers?
Shhhh...its quite obviously a ploy to lull them into a false sense of security...wolf in sheep's clothing and all that. :D

And for the record, my parents, two of my uncles, 1 of my aunts, and numerous great-uncles and cousins of some variety are all Christian ministers of some flavor....yep, I'm most definately a demon worshipper! :p

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

The way I see it- anyone who dislikes rpg's for religous reasons will not care one way or another what d&d players do- it will not change their opinions.

FD

I play with a group from church right now.

But, in actuality, I worship you, alsih2o. You're my idol!
worship.gif
Don't you have another poll to post, BTW? :D

Last edited:

Chriskaballa

First Post
Crothian said:

A friend gamed while he was becoming a priest and even introduced it to all the priests, nuns, and other people in training there. They had weekly games set up.

Let me guess which class they all played. :p

Anyway... I am a Christian and have spoken to some of my local religious leaders about my D&D "habit". Most reponses went something like, "As long as you don't take it too far, D&D is certainly a good thing."

One priest, however, responded, "Third Edition? Rangers got the shaft, you know." I almost died laughing.

~Chris

First Post
I agree that it's nice to see all the calls for prayers, here. ENWorld is a great community. As far as Christians and D&D go, I think what scares people about the game is two-fold. First, most people are terribly misinformed about it. My fiancee's parents were genuinely concerned when they found out I played, but they had a lot of bad information. I sat down and talked to them about it, and now they're fine with it. Also, the sheer freedom of the game probably contributed to starting it. Because, honestly, if someone was so inclined they could roleplay all sorts of evil, demonic things and use it as a way to fulfill some sort of wicked desire. But, the freedom of the game is what makes it so incredibly fun to play! There are people who do some awful things, they don't need a game to help them; they're quite capable of such things apart from it. Not to mention the fact that I know a lot of gamers, and none of them are like that. The fraction must be exceedingly rare. D&D is based, ultimately, on the work of fantasy writers, Tolkien primarily, and Tolkien was an incredibly strong Christian. He and CS Lewis are two men whom I hold in the highest of regards as Christians and as men. I guess the bottom line is that there are some nuts that game, but that has almost nothing to do with the gaming. Tolkien, Lewis, countless people on these boards, and my own experience have taught me that it is perfectly natural to love fantasy and to love God. All at the same time.

kingpaul

First Post
D&D is based, ultimately, on the work of fantasy writers, Tolkien primarily, and Tolkien was an incredibly strong Christian.
Not only that, Lord of the Rings was written as a Christian allegory...although much more subtly than Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.

Remove ads