Campaigns inspired by songs

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Once upon a time, a guy named Vangelis was the keyboard player for a band called Aphrodite’s Child. One of their recordings was an epic classic rock/avant-garde concept double album regarding the Bible’s Book of Revelations. That album’s “The Four Horsemen” gets a fair amount of airplay on late night “deep cuts” shows on classic rock stations:

It’s a perfect song to set the vibe for a campaign involving one view of prophecies of Christianity’s end times, or possibly a transformation of it into something else.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Not a campaign, but back in the 80s I was in a pretty cool Convention adventure taken pretty directly from King of Pain by The Police, loosely translated into playing card symbology.

The King of Pain was the King of Hearts, which has the nickname the Suicide King because it's sword seems to pierce it's head. And the final battle against the King could only be killed by it's weapon.

I have stood here before inside the pouring rain
With the world turning circles running 'round my brain
I guess I'm always hoping that you'll end this reign
But it's my destiny to be the king of pain​

Some other parts were interpreted more directly, but all were puzzles or combats to overcome to move forward as well as gave hints or useful treasure.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Europe’s “The Final Countdown” and “99 Luftballons”/“99 Red Balloons” by Nena set an apocalyptic backdrop for a future campaign.

Zebra’s “Who’s Behind The Door” and Billy Thorpe’s “Children of the Sun” could inspire a more positive outlook on a campaign dealing with First Contact.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Not a campaign, but back in the 80s I was in a pretty cool Convention adventure taken pretty directly from King of Pain by The Police, loosely translated into playing card symbology.

The King of Pain was the King of Hearts, which has the nickname the Suicide King because it's sword seems to pierce it's head. And the final battle against the King could only be killed by it's weapon.
Sting wrote "Shape of My Heart" with similar symbology. It ran in the end credits of The Professional IIRC.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
King Crimson’s “Indiscipline” would be a good kick-off for a fantasy/horror/sci-fi campaign in which events are set in motion by some poor soul being driven mad by an artifact they have found, with the song itself being a fragmented from their diary, research notes or blog.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There’s a LOT of songs that deal with someone in trouble with the law and pleading for mercy, having someone else plead for mercy, attempting to buy off the authorities, and so forth.* Such songs could be used as a background for a campaign in which the PCs are “reverse” bounty hunters- individuals using their particular skills, talents and powers to exonerate the (potentially) wrongfully convicted.

* Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”, Led Zeppelin’s “Gallows Pole”, The Kingston Trio’s “Tom Dooley”, Steely Dan’s “Do it again”, the Scottish version of “Geordie” or the Joan Baez’ recording of the English version, etc.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
There’s a LOT of songs that deal with someone in trouble with the law and pleading for mercy, having someone else plead for mercy, attempting to buy off the authorities, and so forth.* Such songs could be used as a background for a campaign in which the PCs are “reverse” bounty hunters- individuals using their particular skills, talents and powers to exonerate the (potentially) wrongfully convicted.

* Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”, Led Zeppelin’s “Gallows Pole”, The Kingston Trio’s “Tom Dooley”, Steely Dan’s “Do it again”, the Scottish version of “Geordie” or the Joan Baez’ recording of the English version, etc.
And don't forget Sonny Curtis/Bobby Fuller/Sam Neely/Clash/Dead Kennedy's I fought the law (and the law won) (also mentioned in the Beastie Boys song Rhymin' and Stealin': "I fought the law and I cold won!")

Remove ads