• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Familiars gain levels in a Class?

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
I believe I saw somewhere, not sure where mind you, but a Psuedodragon Familiar having 2 levels of Rogue? My players might be interested in this, and so am I, and I was wondering what everyone's opionions to this might be? I don't see a problem with this but it does have to be logical. I do not see a Toad gaining levels as a Fighter, but I could see say a Psuedodragon gaining levels as a Rogue or possibly Wizard/Sorcerer. Obviously you would have to use some common sense when it comes to picking classes, mind you, but I do not see this as being too unbalanced.

What do you think?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
No, you can't. I did see a prestige class that let a familiar cast like a first-level sorcerer... just one moment...

Blood Guardian by Monte Cook (Thunderhead Games)

Gez

First Post
The familiar already do gain class levels. The familiar of a wizard 5 is a wizard 5. It don't have any of the ability of a wizard 5, as it has the familiar ability instead, but it is a wizard 5. The familiar of a sorcerer 1/barbarian 19 is a sor 1/bbr 19. It too has familiar abilities instead if class abilities.

That's simple: the master and the familiar are considered to be one and the same. One schizophrenic being with two bodies, but one being. Would you allow a schizo to have double his normal class levels for his experience, just because one personality think he's a barbarian and the other think he's a sorcerer ? Probably no. So, you won't allow a familiar to have class levels on its own.

rankarrog

First Post
I would allow this to my players but to pay a price for it they should get the Leadership-Feat and take the familiar as a Cohort :)

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Right, I was thinking about a prereq for this was to take the Leadership feat and then the Familiar would be thier cohort. Otherwise what everyone is saying does make sense.

Thanks for your help guys.

AGGEMAM

First Post
In response to the last two posters.

A familiar already is a kind of co-hort. If you allow a familiar to gain character levels you should strip it of any benefits it gains from being a familiar. Although you could retain the wizards benefits of having the familiar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads