• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a sorcerer create a demiplane?

Sejs

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
And if you are goin epic, I would be loath to allow it to work at 9th. Planer creation seems like a more epic spell to me. Actually, in my opinion, many 9th level spells should actually be epic. Disjunction, gate, etc.

Well, bear in mind that it works as a 9th level spell... that makes a tiny-smidge of a demiplane (180' per casting? Takes half a year to reach that size?) and it costs you 5000 exp per iteration.

An epic version of genesis would be a lot more efficient. Look at it like this:

The 9th level spell is Genesis, Lesser.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Jack Simth said:
If you have a DM that's willing to be flexible.......

You have Limited Wish, right? (And if you don't, you have the opportunity to swap something out for it at 18th)

Under Magic-Psionics transparency, for basically all intents and purposes, a spell is a power, a power is a spell. Well, Limited Wish (a spell that can duplicate spells within limits) can thus duplicate Psychic Reformation (a Psionic power). Psychic Reformation permits you to change skill, feat, and powers known choices. Under transparency again, a spell qualifies as a power. Once you hit 18th, you can pick up Genesis (in the ELH, I think), cast it (perhaps a couple of times, to get it nice and big), and use Limited Wish to duplicate Psychic Reformation to swap out Genesis for something more useful. Sure, you burn through an extra 300 xp.... but it gets the job done, with no reliance on anything other than specific DM ruling and campaign variant choices (no need for an NPC to craft a scroll for you).

That's an excellent and well thought out response.

Jack Simth

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
That's an excellent and well thought out response.
The technique gets cheesy fast, though; limited wish costs 300 xp or that of the duplicated spell, whichever's more. Psychic Reformation has a scaling XP cost - one manifesting on yourself at a cost of 300 xp would be six levels worth of decisions - for a Sorcerer, that almost always includes his top three levels of spells known (and often part of his fourth; at 20th level, it doesn't quite fully cover 7th level spells known.... but it does cover all 8th and 9th, so....). Limited Wish doesn't inherit the casting time of the duplicated spell - so it's a standard action, despite the 10 minute manifesting time of Psychic Reformation.

One standard action, a 7th level spell known and spell slot, and 300 xp, and a Sorcerer is perfectly re-tooled for the encounter at hand. Doesn't even have to stop and refresh his spell slots. He's better at it than is the Wizard. How is that not dripping with cheese?

zypherillius

First Post
demiplane seed

Archade said:
Manual of the Planes has a spellcasting prestige class that gets to grow a demiplane as the capstone ability.

its the class ability at 10th planeshifter level, you can create a demiplane anywhere you want, but there are stipulations to it, like it has to have normal time and normal gravity and the like. at epic levels, the planeshifter class ablility works well since epic stuff is mostly building and non combat ideas.

class is called planeshifter, you lose 3 levels of spellcasting, one at 1, 4, and 7 i think. IMHO, its my personal favourite PrC.

taliesin15

First Post
szilard said:
...or you could just commandeer a pre-existing demiplane.
seriously, have you given any thought to this? I would assume that playing a Sorceror your PC-who-would-be-god wouldn't be the kind of person who is averse to a little piracy...? Sounds like it might make for a really interesting campaign idea, flavor wise. I would at least investigate the possibility.

Asmor

First Post
taliesin15 said:
seriously, have you given any thought to this? I would assume that playing a Sorceror your PC-who-would-be-god wouldn't be the kind of person who is averse to a little piracy...? Sounds like it might make for a really interesting campaign idea, flavor wise. I would at least investigate the possibility.

Indeed I have... Not sure if my DM would go for that or not, though. The PC's NE, though, so it's certainly in character for her.

Remove ads