• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a sorcerer create a demiplane?

Asmor

First Post
The only way I know of actually creating a demiplane is the psionic power Genesis. Is there a way for a sorcerer to create one?

I'm making a level 17 sorcerer who intends to become a god. In her own words, "My desire to become a god is no greater than the caterpillar's desire to become a butterfly. Some are fated to be kings and some paupers. It is my destiny to become a god, nothing more, nothing less."

Anyways, she's going to have the leadership feat and a leadership score of 23, which gives her well over 100 followers. I was wanting her to have created a demiplane to establish her church, and she sends her cultists (followers) there. Her cohort, I'm thinking, will actually be a cleric dedicated to her (although since she's not a god yet, he'd really be the godless type of cleric...).

I'd prefer an official WotC source, but the DM allows literally anything that's been published and I'm willing to break my personal prejudice against 3rd party stuff for this.

EDIT: Ok, I just found the arcane spell Genesis, but it's not something I'd want to waste a 9th level spell slot on until I got into epic levels and got the feat which gives you more spells known... This is something I want for the background of the character right now, so it's got to be doable by an arcane spell of 8th level or lower.

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Well, Wish is nominally limited to duplicating the effects of 8th lv or lower spells, but it does also say that you can attempt to exceed that limit at some risk. Given that it will be costing you a minimum of 5000xp for casting it and you have a DM who's willing to be flexible, I don't see any reason you couldn't use it to accomplish the same thing.

Alternatively, you could concievably just get a scroll of Genesis.

Sejs

First Post
Yup. Allow me to echo the scroll idea.

And failing wish being able to do the same job for 5000xp, you could always wish for a scroll of Genesis (153xp), or an item that granted the feat Extra Spell: Genesis (400xp).

You could start small and pick up a Rod of Security for your pocket paradise.

Or you could do some personal spell research to make your demiplane-creation spell. Just toss on some limitations such as requiring a fixed material gateway or anchor somewhere, reduce some of the options for what the demiplane can feature, etc.

Part of why Genesis is a 9th level spell is because demiplanes are hugely open to abuse. Assure your DM that it's more a flavor thing and he'll probably be more easy going.

Quartz

Hero
There's also a 9th level spell, Genesis. Working from memory, it cost 5000 XP and lets you create a demiplane of 120' radius, or expand the radius of an existing one by 120'. The creator can set all conditions within the plane, though I'd exclude Time. The spell doesn't create anything within the plane - no houses, castles, people, livestock, grass, no nothing.

So your sorceror should either gain this spell at her next pick, or locate a magic item which can cast it. (q.v. Pharanme's Urn in Sepulchrave's Story Hour).

Jack Simth

First Post
If you have a DM that's willing to be flexible.......

You have Limited Wish, right? (And if you don't, you have the opportunity to swap something out for it at 18th)

Under Magic-Psionics transparency, for basically all intents and purposes, a spell is a power, a power is a spell. Well, Limited Wish (a spell that can duplicate spells within limits) can thus duplicate Psychic Reformation (a Psionic power). Psychic Reformation permits you to change skill, feat, and powers known choices. Under transparency again, a spell qualifies as a power. Once you hit 18th, you can pick up Genesis (in the ELH, I think), cast it (perhaps a couple of times, to get it nice and big), and use Limited Wish to duplicate Psychic Reformation to swap out Genesis for something more useful. Sure, you burn through an extra 300 xp.... but it gets the job done, with no reliance on anything other than specific DM ruling and campaign variant choices (no need for an NPC to craft a scroll for you).

Asmor

First Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. If I'm doing the math right, a scroll of genesis is nearly 29k, which is a pretty hefty chunk of change... What I may end up doing is just getting one, maybe two, of those, setting up a church in the demiplane, but not have all my cultists live there... Provide a portal of some sort to them.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestion about the prestige class in MotP. I'm gonna go check that out right now.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Asmor said:
EDIT: Ok, I just found the arcane spell Genesis, but it's not something I'd want to waste a 9th level spell slot on until I got into epic levels and got the feat which gives you more spells known... This is something I want for the background of the character right now, so it's got to be doable by an arcane spell of 8th level or lower.

I don't think I would allow this at any spell level lower than 9th. Your own plane is quite a powerful thing, and anything lower than 9th wouldn't cut it.

And if you are goin epic, I would be loath to allow it to work at 9th. Planer creation seems like a more epic spell to me. Actually, in my opinion, many 9th level spells should actually be epic. Disjunction, gate, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads