• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Whip be 'Vorpal'

TrueSpade

First Post
Wouldn't that be sick?!

And horrible! No one would expect that! Ugh! Gross! XD Mix that with Whirlwind Attack!

But seriously, the only requirement was 'Slashing' damage.

Last edited:

But a whip cannot do damage to creatures with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or if they have a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher and can only do subdual damage. So even if you had a vorpal whip, would the vorpal even work if it does no damage?

I think as a GM I would say it wouldn't work.

TrueSpade

First Post
Johnny Mnemonic says "yes!" but who listens to him?

That was more like a laser-whip XD but that got me thinking, maybe (on the roll of a natural 20) it gets surrounded by some crazy deadly magic.

However, I guess the fact that it doesn't deal lethal damage kinda defeats the whole thing. It'd still be crazy and unexpected if someone could somehow pull it off.

lol the violence!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My take on it is this:

SRD
Vorpal:...Upon a roll of natural 20 (followed by a successful roll to confirm the critical hit), the weapon severs the opponent’s head (if it has one) from its body.
Means the weapon's magical ability triggers on a hit- specifically, a confirmed crit on a nat20- not upon dealing damage. That the mundane properties of the underlying weapon would prove ineffectual against a particular foe does not mean the enchantment would likewise be nullified.

We had a similar discussion about flaming whips some time ago here on ENWorld:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/138686-flaming-whip.html

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Eh, only some armors even cover the neck up, and the +1 armor / +3 natural armor thing was always stupid and annoying...

Just use a whip-dagger like everyone should. d6 LETHAL damage, none of that armor crap, and shares proficiency with whip so you don't even need another feat.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Depends on your game world, your suspension of disbelief, and your Game Master.

Then again, we're talking about fantasy worlds here where magic runs supreme. Heck, a feather can be vorpal.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
I have to stand on the side of Water Bob on this one....
It is your campaign and your game... the book themselves tell you that they are only a guideline...

My group and I have come up with magic items that should not be permitted according to the "rules"; however, we discussed it and gave them a try, and kept a few, dumped others...

If you want vorpal whips, then Palor love ya, have vorporal whips

Remove ads