Can a Wild Shaped Druid "Animal Growth" himself?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
This came up a couple sessions ago and I'm not sure we handled it correctly. Is the Druid technically an Animal and therefore a valid target for this spell? If so, how do you handle the doubling of his hit dice? Take the average hit points he would have gained or double his current total?

Inquiring minds want to know.

mikebr99

Explorer
Rel said:
This came up a couple sessions ago and I'm not sure we handled it correctly. Is the Druid technically an Animal and therefore a valid target for this spell? If so, how do you handle the doubling of his hit dice? Take the average hit points he would have gained or double his current total?

Inquiring minds want to know.
3.0 - No

3.5 - Yes... And also look at adding "glory of the beast" to yourself. :)

Mike

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Is the reason that this does not work in 3.0 because your type does not become Animal when you Wild Shape?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
According to the rules, yes. We've ditched 3.5 wildshape in favor of Masters of the Wild version, which is aesthetically more pleasing and doesn't result in rules wonkiness like this. (Note that in order for it to work, the druid must have the natural spell feat, or some other way to cast spells while in animal form).

Speaking of rules wonkiness, are you aware of the awaken factory? It works like this:

1) Druid casts baleful polymorph to change ally into an animal.

2) Druid casts awaken on the animal, giving the ally +2 hd, +1d3 charisma, and a new Intelligence score, as well as the magical beast type. These changes are all instantaneous, not permanent.

3) Druid casts dispel magic on the ally, returning the ally to normal shape.

4) Druid repeats steps 1-3 until the ally has as high a charisma score and as many hit dice as she wants.

Aren't you glad that polymorphing changes type?

My advice: stick with old-school wildshape, and avoid cheese.

Daniel

Kal Skid

First Post
If you're capable of casting 9th level spells, Shapechange changes your type, and thus allows for Animal Growth, Nature's Favor, and Nature's Avatar.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Pielorinho said:
2) Druid casts awaken on the animal, giving the ally +2 hd, +1d3 charisma, and a new Intelligence score, as well as the magical beast type. These changes are all instantaneous, not permanent.

If the bonus HD and charisma don't go away when the polymorph is dispelled, why would the creature type change back? All are instantaneous benefits of the spell, after all. So, you could only ever do this once, and it'd raise your ECL in the same way that becoming a Vampire would. You'd be a feral humanoid with the Magical Beast type, two "monster" HD, and a relatively low intelligence... seems fine to me, as long as the DM compensates for your increased ECL.

Besides, this is yet another clear example of the "not a chance in Hell" aspect of Rule 0.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Spatzimaus said:
If the bonus HD and charisma don't go away when the polymorph is dispelled, why would the creature type change back? All are instantaneous benefits of the spell, after all. So, you could only ever do this once, and it'd raise your ECL in the same way that becoming a Vampire would. You'd be a feral humanoid with the Magical Beast type, two "monster" HD, and a relatively low intelligence... seems fine to me, as long as the DM compensates for your increased ECL.
Not exactly. When the polymorph is dispelled, you've still got a type of "magical beast." HOWEVER, when baleful polymorph is recast, it changes your type to "animal" again. Sure, that change is permanent, not instantaneous, but that's good enough to be the target of another Awaken.

Besides, this is yet another clear example of the "not a chance in Hell" aspect of Rule 0.
That I agree with entirely. I use it to demonstrate why I don't like the type-changing rules. THere are other reasons to dislike them, but this is the most egregious reason.

Daniel

Remove ads