• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a world overrun by dragons survive?

F5

Explorer
azmodean said:
Just a few ideas, more crunch than story wise:
1. Get used to the half-dragon template, you could get a lot of mileage out of it.

Hmm..half-dragon guard dogs. That would make it a lot easier for Joe dirt-farmer to hold off an invasion of Green wyrmlings. Or half-dragon humans that act as the dragon's agents in human territories. These could be the guys who run the Great Wyrm's trade cartels. I think I should definitely learn to love the half-dragon template...

azmodean said:
2. If you don't like the idea of "orphan wyrmlings" you can see about creating other draconic creatures at the lower levels, both the half-dragons as mentioned, wyvern-like creatures, and other monsters with their descriptions shifted to be draconic. (for example, with just a slight change in description, an arrowhawk makes a great draconic monster)

Good suggestion. I do kind of like the "orphan wyrmlings" idea, though.

azmodean said:
3. Pick up the draconimicron if you don't have it already, heck, get it even if you don't run this campaign.

Well, yeah. It is a pretty, pretty book.

F5

Explorer
Storyteller01 said:
Check the Dragon Star campaign setting form FFG. Dragons rule the galaxy economically and imperically.

Nice side note: The dragons believe that if you have to work at magic to learn it, then you shouldn't learn it. It's unnatural! Because of this, wizards are treated as second class citizens (about the same treatment that a deulist for hire can expect).

Dragonstar's a pretty cool setting. I don't really want dragons to have absolute power over the world, it should still be in contest. So, no dragon emperors. But another look at how a dragon might run things given its' way could be useful.

I do like the draconic take on wizard magic, though. Kind of a big twist on the way it's usually seen.

Corsair

First Post
I'd keep half-dragon rare. It is a BIG boost in strength. The draconic template from Draconomicon would be a good one for wide scale use though.

Storyteller01

First Post
MGP's Dragon Magic has some good templates and rules. Two different levels hlaf dragon (Dragon Aspect and Dragon Blooded) to give a dragon 'taint' without adding too much power (much less powerful than a full half dragon).

They also have a system for unlocking draconic trait. There treated a temporary spells unless you spend exto make the changes permanent. This really eats up the exp though.

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=115723&page=1

I have developed an archpelligo under the dominace of dragons,
Isida Kep'Tukari a similar world.

I added a few modifications -
Dragons do not change shape.
Dragons do not breed with anything that moves.
instead they are raw sources of magical power that are tapped into by sorcerers. They can also grant powers to servitor races, creating effectivly half dragons and draconic creatures.

Dragons have specilties similar to insects, but are not communal. They have queens, philsopers, builders and warriors. The dragons normally squable amongst themselves, with occasional conflicts with halflings. Sea traffic is non-existant, the most travel is underground.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads