D&D 5E Can an unseen servant fly?

Oofta

Legend
I think that is the same argument as some use when you ask to talk about it like adults and they shout that you are a XYZ

There's been a bit of disagreement here, but I don't see much shouting. It just seemed like a really random comment, but maybe I'm missing something or someone has me blocked. 🤷‍♂️

Stormonu

Legend
The levitate spell makes you float, and you are not flying
Well, then cast levitate/fly on it. Oh, wait - you can't see it to target it. ;)

I wonder if this spell and things like mage hand, spiritual weapon, arcane eye and those that create a "magical construct" would benefit from a (generic magical) stat block that could be enhanced/modified to aid with these sort of things.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Not sure how that relates to, like, anything being discussed?
Ah, don't mind me, I'm just dealing with allergies and frustrated with rules discussions in general. I've been going around in circles with some people IRL and I come here and make the mistake of posting in some like anyone cares about my insights, lol.

Generally people have their position and nothing is going to change it, and sometimes the arcane gyrations involved between the two camps is headache inducing. The person I'm dealing with at the moment can't seem to pick a lane. He'll argue that a rule doesn't make sense from a realism standpoint one day, then be like "but the rules say!" the next.

Anyways, carry on, gentlepersons.

Vaalingrade

Legend
If an aarakocra created it, could it do tasks that an aarakocra servant could do? Something to think about.
More importantly, if we're limiting the spell on the 'human servant' line, what if there's no servants in the world? Does it mean that the force creature can bear your illegitimate children? Can it decide it deserves compensation and go on strike? A lot rides on this awful little addition to the descriptor.

greg kaye

Explorer
More importantly, if we're limiting the spell on the 'human servant' line, what if there's no servants in the world?
Then it would act according to the concept of a human servant in a way that fitted with the spells wording.
Does it mean that the force creature can bear your illegitimate children?
problems include that the gestation time for humanoids tends to be longer than the spell's duration.
Can it decide it deserves compensation and go on strike?
It's mindless.

greg kaye

Explorer
So no, it can't perform actions like a human servant.
exactly.
"The servant can perform simple tasks that a human servant could do, such as fetching things, cleaning, mending⁠, folding clothes, lighting fires, serving food, and pouring wine. Once you give the command⁠, the servant performs the task to the best of its ability until it completes the task, then waits for your next command⁠."
But it can't think for itself. Perhaps it's like the Wizard of Oz Scarecrow, only worse, needs a lot of help.
1685890572253.png

greg kaye

Explorer
... Does it mean that the force creature can bear your illegitimate children? ...
I wouldn't say so, though a character of a friend of mine turns out to have unseen servants, with benefits. When I asked them why they had unseen servant they said, for massages. It took longer than it should have for me to ask, what kind of massages?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Casting unseen servant as a ritual takes 10 minutes. I've always described it as my character doing all the work for 10 min as a "montage" to train the unseen servant to work doing the same things slower over an hour :D

I mean, if it's mindlness... it's preeety frickin limited

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases