D&D 5E Can Beholders fly in an Anti-Magic field?

Morlock

Banned
Banned
If the DM wants them to. I sure wouldn't let any fluff or "logical" arguments get in the way, in either direction (again, unless DM likes it that way).

infinitum3d

Explorer
I don't have my book handy, but I do not think it is directly addressed. If not addressed,, it might be a natural boyance that they proper directionally with magic, or it might be permanent magical flight.

Assuming the rules are not explicit, the answer should be: What makes the game more interesting? DM rulings when rules are vague should be aimed at making the game better, not at applying their personal view on what should happen. If a big bad enemy can be outsmarted by a simple trap, the game is often diminished.... but not always. Sometimes that clever solution makes the party feel really good and the game moves forward with higher spirits. It is a subjective assessment that the DM needs to make and the players need to not only accept, but buy into with all their hearts.

Reynard

Legend
If yes, it means it is a natural property of their bodies and they would continue to bob in the air and maybe even float away after they are dead.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This is why I feel like we should do away with anti-magic fields.

If a monster spawned from the dreams of its predecessor doesn't just unravel into a puff of nothingness in an AMF, then AMFs are just kinda dumb and a meta way of hosing the PCs.
Or a challenge that exists in the setting for the players to collaborate on to overcome and, in the doing, have fun and create exciting, memorable tales.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Or a challenge that exists in the setting for the players to collaborate on to overcome and, in the doing, have fun and create exciting, memorable tales.
No, not that one.

It's clearly a metagame concept because it is highly selective on what magic it is actually anti.

It's like back in the day when every door and lock suddenly becomes adamantine to keep the players from breaking/picking them.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
No, not that one.

It's clearly a metagame concept because it is highly selective on what magic it is actually anti.

It's like back in the day when every door and lock suddenly becomes adamantine to keep the players from breaking/picking them.
Both of those things can be explained in the context of the setting though. It's trivially easy in a game based on make-believe. Then they're just more challenges among many to be overcome by creative players, not something to just "hose PCs."

aco175

Legend
My first thought was a bad image of beholders making baby beholders and how that would work if they inti-magicked each other. I'll skip the part about a giant paper bag.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Imagine if there was a place in your city where your car and only your car would just turn off and not be able to start. Everyone else zooms by you, driving to their heart's content.

Do you feel it is a hearty challenge for your to overcome creatively or that you're being cosmically targeted?

Either AMF should be an actual zone of no magic, or it shouldn't at all, IMO.

Remove ads