• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can Clerics Cure Cancer?

Dracandross

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Now that is a funny concept, a Paladin that drinks and smokes a lot, knowing full well they won't ever get cancer or liver disease from it. So they take advantage of it.

But that would be violation of their code most likely, besides hevily alcoholized paladin couldnt perform his duties anyway.

-Dracandross

Klaus

First Post
A paladin isn't immune to drunkeness, because it's a disease. Alcohol is a poison you drink voluntarily, and it damage Dex and Wis.

RttToEE has a Paladin that spends his days drinking at the local tavern while waiting for Heironeous to send him a vision.

Ambrus

Explorer
Piratecat said:
From a game perspective, though, I want some insanity that isn't curable by heal. I want bibbling, ranting bad guys who can't necessarily be instantly brought back to sanity. I also want some who can be. Right now I just handle this on an ad hoc, 'just cause' basis. It hasn't been a problem, although it feels a little inconsistent.
To solve your dilemma simply use the rules for taint from Heroes of Horror. Depravity points will make a character more and more unstable/insane while making the condition more or less incurable since once taint takes ahold it's very hard to get rid of. The best heroes can do is try to keep it from getting any worse. Other mental illnesses that aren't related to taint can be fixed instantly with a Heal spell though. Voila, problem solved. ;)

irdeggman

First Post
Dracandross said:
But that would be violation of their code most likely, besides hevily alcoholized paladin couldnt perform his duties anyway.

-Dracandross

Unless it was unique to that paladin I don't see how it voids the requirements that all paladin's codes share (well the LG variety anyway).

Code of Conduct: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.
Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

Besides I could see a dwarven paladin with a racial fondness for ale.

boolean

Explorer
Code of Conduct: A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.
Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

Does drinking alcohol count as using poison? How about buying somebody else a drink? :p

Infiniti2000

First Post
Cleric: (to the paladin) You're drunk!! You can't get drunk, you're a paladin!
Paladin: There's nuttin' in the *hiccup* . . . There's nuttin' in the *hiccup* . . . There's nuttin' in the scriptures against drinkin', is there?
Cleric: Well, no, but . . .

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads