• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can Dragonborn play a flute?

leinadvirgo

First Post
I had a player that created a dragonborn fighter and was giving him a musical instrument, he wanted to use a flute. I looked at the picture in phb and couldn't decide if they had fully functional lips like humans or if it was more reptilian.

I know there isn't likely to be an official dragonborn anatomy book to use as reference, but it got me thinking that there are probably a few other things that would come up. like can they whistle? I would assume that its possible, but can they change pitch?

delericho

Legend
You'll basically have to decide that for your own campaign.

Personally, I'd be inclined to say they can't whistle as such, but that they have a nasal cavity that allows them a certain approximation of a whistle (with a slightly different range and control). Likewise, I probably wouldn't let them play a flute as we know it, but it's very likely that they would have developed other instruments that fill the same role. So there's probably a Dragonborn flute out there somewhere.

All IMC, of course.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
From wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
The flute is a family of musical instrument of the woodwind group. Unlike woodwind instruments with reeds, a flute is an aerophone or reedless wind instrument that produces its sound from the flow of air across an opening.

Dragonborn can breathe energy at people... so maybe they prefer reeded wind instruments?

Maybe a panflute, or some other type of flute with larger air holes?

Or maybe they have some kind of crazy magical instrument that works off their Draconic breath's essence?

Last edited:

n00b f00

First Post
A bunch of decent answers, that they could use similar things but maybe not a normal flute. For the sake of laziness, I would just say "They can talk in all of the various languages using their lips, so they can probably move them well enough to use a flute. Though it's not a instrument dragonborn are generally partial too as it takes a bit more practice than it does for other races." If only so that the player would be happy, I wouldn't have to come up with an alternative, and we could joke anytime he played it.

Mephista

Adventurer
My answer-

Does it really matter? What does allowing him to have it detract from the game? Is your group going to think its silly enough that they lose immersion? Allowing it makes the player happy. Disallowing it makes the player sad. Therefore, allowing it raises your overall group enjoyment of the game. Why should you not allow it?
From a pure "We're Here To Game and Have Fun!" standpoint, I can't see any reason to not say they can do it.

delericho

Legend
My answer-

Does it really matter? What does allowing him to have it detract from the game?

No, of course not. But little things like this can be an opportunity for world-building and therefore can add value to the game. And if the DM chooses to take the player's request for a quirk for his fighter and says, "Yes, and...", that's a good thing.

So, the Dragonborn Fighter with a flute, yeah, that's cool. But a Dragonborn Fighter with a dragonborn flute, a slightly different instrument built to take advantage of the Dragonborn's slightly different physiology might be more cool.

Or not - as in so many things, YMMV.

Klaus

First Post
As commonly depicted, dragonborn have lips (perhaps thanks to brass dragon ancestors?), so I see no reason why not.

If a more elaborate explanation is necessary, a dragonborn could be capable of rolling its tongue into a tube (like some humans can), and use that to channel its breath through the flute.

Dragons can manipulate their nostrils to hold their breath underwater. So why not play a...

Noseflute?
I was about to make that joke/suggestion.
There's an interesting image of a dragonborn playing a flute with a nostril or dragonborn flutes that look like a stethoscope and go over the snout.

Remove ads