Can Good Wizards Cast Evil Spells?

Tom Cashel

First Post
I know there's nothing stopping a Neutral Good wizard from casting evil spells...

...but would this result in an alignment change?

Is all arcane magic just magic, neither good nor evil?

Is it personal opinion or do the Core Rules deal with this?

Thanks!

drnuncheon

Explorer
Tom Cashel said:
I know there's nothing stopping a Neutral Good wizard from casting evil spells...

...but would this result in an alignment change?

Is all arcane magic just magic, neither good nor evil?

Is it personal opinion or do the Core Rules deal with this?

Thanks!

Unlike clerics, mages are not prohibited from casting spells that are opposed to their alignment.

On the other hand, I'd have to say that continued use of Evil spells would be a good argument in favor of an alignment change - even if it was for a "good cause".

J

dcollins

Explorer
In short, the core rules do not deal with this. Although there are specified restrictions for clerics, there are no alignment-based restrictions given for wizards in their spell selection. Nor are there any guidelines given for what sorts of spell-actions contribute to forced alignment changes.

theridion

First Post
it is correct that wizards are not limited to their alignment when casting spells.

there really aren't any truely evil spells. i mean, blowing someone up with a fireball or draining their strength really are about the same.

the only question comes into play when you want to do something like raise the dead. the undead themselves aren't evil, they are just animated bones(like animated rocks for a golem or constructs of a sort), but it is usually looked upon socially as an evil thing, and being found raising or hanging out with undead probably will get you in trouble, if not killed by the local authorities.

again, if you use a fireball to kill innocent villagers, well, you're evil. if you use it to stop some bandits from raiding those villagers, well, it wasn't an evil use :)

i find it hard to asses most wizards as Lawful, as the act of training to kill things with more and more efficiency really isn't a lawful thing.. especially when you get the jump on them, and there are "hold spell" types of alternatives to destroying life in large quantities.

Magic Circle

It depends on what spells you cast, and why.

Let me look at it from the other angle. Suppose an evil conjurer wants to cast planar binding (or whatever it's called) to summon a baatezu. To do this properly, they must be able to make a calling diagram and cast dimensional anchor and magic circle against evil (directed inward). Only, magic circle against evil is a [good] spell, according to its description in the PHB. Does the conjurer start having good thoughts? Do they feel the light? Nope, they continue on being as evil as ever.

Another example: If one of my PCs wanted to play a LN of Kelemvor and cast a lot of animate dead spells, I'd let them get away with it, without shifting their alignment towards evil. I wouldn't let a good cleric get away with it, though.

There's no way for the PHB and DMG to rule on this; it's up to the DM

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
theridion said:
i find it hard to asses most wizards as Lawful, as the act of training to kill things with more and more efficiency really isn't a lawful thing...

So I gather that most armies in your gameworld are filled with chaotic NPCs who hate to follow orders?

Palskane

First Post
Well, there /are/ some rules to govern what spells a mage/sor can cast. Namely the Summoning spells and what creatures they can summon based on their alignment. Other than that, though, I think it depends on the spells cast and the situation.

Once again, what do you do with your spells?

If you're a chaotic evil wizard, you might fireball people who make fun of you, who used to make fun of you when you were a kid, just to blow off steam, etc.

If you're a lawful evil wizard, you might use your spells to kill people as efficiently as possible. If you're facing an army, don't hurl fireballs at them, just use improved invisibility, nondetection, some nasty save or die spell, and teleport (for if things go wrong) to assassinate the army general. Think Artemis Entreri: he's good at killing people, but he only does it if he feels he needs to.

Lawful characters can go to war and kill foes if there's a good reason. For instance, if by defeating the evil king's army you can save the peasants from some terrible fate (taxes? sacrifice?) then sure, you can try to kill your foes.

BTW animating dead affects the spirits of the dead (not necessarily the spirit that once possessed the body), so it's often viewed as evil.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Palskane said:
Well, there /are/ some rules to govern what spells a mage/sor can cast. Namely the Summoning spells and what creatures they can summon based on their alignment. Other than that, though, I think it depends on the spells cast and the situation.

No, that's clerics. Wizards can cast spells with opposed alignment descriptors.

Remove ads