• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can horses Spider Climb?

Lizard Lips

First Post
The spell description says "The affected creature must have its hands free to climb in this manner." Horses don't have hands, but I'm thinking the writer decided "The affected creature must have it hands, feet, hooves or paws free..." was too clumsy.

MarkB

Legend
Horses certainly can spider climb if the spell is cast upon them, the real question is whether they will.

I can't remember the source (it may actually have been a local DM house rule), but I think I recall reading that having a mount use a movement mode not normally available to it requires teaching it a separate Trick.

Darklone

Hehehe. That would be fun. Try to teach a horse it can walk up the walls and hang on the ceiling. As soon as you're successful, the spell wears off.

You'll never get that horse to try that trick again!

Sejs

First Post
Lizard Lips said:
The spell description says "The affected creature must have its hands free to climb in this manner." Horses don't have hands, but I'm thinking the writer decided "The affected creature must have it hands, feet, hooves or paws free..." was too clumsy.
Hands are just specialized feet.

Horses can spider climb just fine, I'd say. :D

MarkB

Legend
Darklone said:
Hehehe. That would be fun. Try to teach a horse it can walk up the walls and hang on the ceiling. As soon as you're successful, the spell wears off.

You'll never get that horse to try that trick again!
Nah, you just have to combine the spider climb training with the feather fall training. :D

KarinsDad

Adventurer
MarkB said:
Horses certainly can spider climb if the spell is cast upon them, the real question is whether they will.

I can't remember the source (it may actually have been a local DM house rule), but I think I recall reading that having a mount use a movement mode not normally available to it requires teaching it a separate Trick.

Agreed. This is like casting Fly on a Horse. If the Horse wants to move, it will run instead of fly.

An Int of 2 is pretty low. The learning of a successful trick will allow a Horse to do it if it has been trained to do so.

However, a Paladin's Mount (or some other animal / magical beast with a higher int and a way for the PC to communicate with it) would understand right away, but a Druid's Animal Companion would not.

pallandrome

First Post
Does anyone else get the mental image of a horse flying through the air, red cape fluttering in the wind. I can even see the final showdown with Zod...

Remove ads