D&D 5E Can I ride my giant bat? Can I ride it in a hat?

knasser

First Post
Also, giant eagles, giant owls.

I see these things in the MM and they all have strengths of 13 or more. (Owl is 13, Bat is 15, Eagle is 16) and are all Large. A Riding Horse has a Str of 16. But I personally find it harder to fly than walk no matter how hard I jump so I'm guessing that might translate to it being harder to fly with someone on your back than walk with the same.

How can I determine whether a flying creature can carry or be ridden by a creature. Do I do it by Str, by size category differences? I'm new to D&D 5e. Intuitively I want to say Goblins on Giant Bats are okay, Hobgoblins are not; a giant owl swooping and picking up a PC to drop them on a ledge is fine, a giant owl being ridden across the plains much less so. Any rules for this or guidelines people can suggest? Minus points for anyone going on about how Gandalf could have just flown the hobbits to Mordor. ;)

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as amount. Unless noted otherwise, Strenght should determine its carrying capacity as per Lifting & Carrying rules.

knasser

First Post
A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as amount. Unless noted otherwise, Strenght should determine its carrying capacity as per Lifting & Carrying rules.

Thanks. Out of interest, where is that in the books? I looked under Mounts and Vehicles in the PH and couldn't see it.

aco175

Legend
I thought I saw carrying capacity for all these animals, but it may be for 4e. I was reading that carrying capacity is strength x15, but large creatures can carry 2x this amount and tiny creatures only 1/2. So a 12 strength can carry 180lbs normally, but if it is large it can carry twice this and can carry 360lbs. Seems like a lot for a bird type creature with hollow bones and most likely does not weigh that much itself, but a lot of things are more abstract in D&D and 5e.

knasser

First Post
You're welcome! You can find these rules here;

Lifting & Carrying PHB 178
Mounted Combat PHB 198

Ah, thanks again.

I thought I saw carrying capacity for all these animals, but it may be for 4e. I was reading that carrying capacity is strength x15, but large creatures can carry 2x this amount and tiny creatures only 1/2. So a 12 strength can carry 180lbs normally, but if it is large it can carry twice this and can carry 360lbs. Seems like a lot for a bird type creature with hollow bones and most likely does not weigh that much itself, but a lot of things are more abstract in D&D and 5e.

I think that's 4e because it sounds familiar to me and 4e is the edition of D&D I know (a bit). Have only just started learning 5e.

Plaguescarred

Yes in 5E your carrying capacity is your Strength score multiplied by 15 and for each size category above Medium, double the creature’s carrying capacity and the amount it can push, drag, or lift. For a Tiny creature, halve these weights.

Plaguescarred

For Carrying Capacity Per Size in short you get;

Tiny creature Strenght x7.5
Small creature Strenght x15
Medium creature Strenght x15
Large creature Strenght x30
Huge creature Strenght x60
Gargantua creature Strenght x90

shoak1

Banned
Banned
You can ride your giant bat.
You can ride it with a hat.
You can ride it near or far (assuming you play in a "sandbox" campaign).
You can ride it to a star (assuming space is not a vacuum in your world).

You may ride it with your cat (cats weigh < 10 lbs, giant bats carry <300 lbs less your weight, PHB 176)
But if you fall off it you go splat (PHB 191).

You may ride it through the woods (ignoring terrain speed reduction as per DMG 119).
You may ride it with some goods (<300 lbs less your weight, as per PHB 176).
Would you, could you, ride it into war ?
What, oh what, would you do that for ? (AC 13 and 22 hp as per MM 323 = fatal choice likely).

(the last 2 lines were authored by my 7 yr old daughter btw - she helped Daddy compose this)

Last edited:

Remove ads