D&D 4E can i use essentials with my 4e group?

fireinthedust

Explorer
See, I bought some boxed sets from BMW, and they're essentials. Can I use them with my broader collection of 4e stuff, or is there conversion needed?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
It works fine right alongside non-Essentials stuff. There should be no problems mixing and matching mechanically, from my experience (though I've only run a game for a handful sessions; levels 1-4).

Herschel

Adventurer
Yeah, it works just fine. If your group in in to heavy, full-on optimizing then a couple of classes (Bladesinger and Vampire, for example) may feel a little weak but in the vast majority of games you'll never really notice a difference.

fireinthedust

Explorer
They're newbs... My parents and sisters. If it happens, fun times. Just making sure I won't have issues running it.

What are the big differences to be aware of?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
They're newbs... My parents and sisters. If it happens, fun times. Just making sure I won't have issues running it.

What are the big differences to be aware of?
Essentials is simpler. But, if you have less than four encounters per day, they might start to feel not quite as capable, since the daily-loaded classes can safely nova (where most essential classes don't really have dailies, though they have encounters, as far as I know). Even then, I have a feeling that they'd still feel useful, though. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Herschel

Adventurer
Yeah, they just have fewer options. Some people love them, most are more "old school" in design. For those who like to "tinker" more they can seem limited. There are just a lot fewer potential choices on some things.

herrozerro

First Post
While their options are limited, I do like the use of stances all around. They provide a lit of tactical options for people looking to do some cool things with OAs for example.

Remove ads