• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can mundane classes have a resource which powers abilities?

If you can't Observe coherently, you can't Orient coherently. If you can't Orient coherent, you can't Decide coherently. And if you can't Decide coherently, then you can't Act coherently. Abstraction, and its inherent information loss (up to rendering a process unphysical) 100 % affects your thesis. You may have internalized the basic conceits of the mechanics such that "you don't care." But make no mistake about it, it matters. Then we just get back to "stuff that you can tolerate (because you've internalized it) and stuff that you cannot tolerate."
Association is not at odds with abstraction. Rather, association merely requires that you and your characters are making the same decisions for the same reasons. You could resolve an entire basketball game with two opposed Dexterity (Basketball) checks, and it wouldn't necessarily be dissociated.

To use a bit of hyperbole, your method would require you to make every decision faced by your character, with access to all of the same information. That method limits the combat (or basketball) potential of your character to only the tactical skill possessed by you as a player, though, and would require you to actually be there in order to get all of the information. At a minimum, you would need to act out combat with foam swords, or else there's no way to perceive every opening and mis-step of an opponent, and convey exactly how you go about swinging your sword to injure (and I would love to see someone try to act out the difference between 6 damage and 9 damage, by the way).

So we abstract it out a bit. Let the character decide the minutiae, because the character knows a whole lot more about combat (and is more aware of the situation at hand) than the player. The player just makes the decision to attack, but the character experience a more nuanced reality where the attack involves feints and fancy maneuvers or whatever, but the character is still making that same decision (to attack, rather than defend or run away or cast a spell or whatever) and still does it for the same reasons (even if what the player sees is that the enemy has lost a lot of hit points, and what the character sees is that the enemy is suffering from small wounds and is sounding tired with ragged breathing - it's just two different ways of presenting the exact same information).

Ahnehnois

First Post
Association is not at odds with abstraction. Rather, association merely requires that you and your characters are making the same decisions for the same reasons. You could resolve an entire basketball game with two opposed Dexterity (Basketball) checks, and it wouldn't necessarily be dissociated.
Indeed. The "dissociation" that is being referred to is the premise that the ability in question is a property of the character, something that is part of his biology and/or psychology, juxtaposed with a mechanical outcome that the character cannot possibly be responsible for.

Obryn

Hero
Indeed. The "dissociation" that is being referred to is the premise that the ability in question is a property of the character, something that is part of his biology and/or psychology, juxtaposed with a mechanical outcome that the character cannot possibly be responsible for.
You mean like the Pathfinder cavalier, the Pathfinder gun guy, etc.?

The problem here is what I attempted to display above. The character and the player are not even close to making the same decisions. The resolution of their two respective models of observation > orientation to the observed phenomena going on around them (spatially and temporally at the bare minimum) > decision-making (they can't possibly be making the same decisions) > and finally actions (they aren't remotely committing to the same suite of actions) are of such a vast deviation of resolution that they bear no resemblance to each other whatsoever. Its like a two box model of the earth's climate system versus an extremely high resolution global climate model. The two cannot even relate to one another. If you ask an actual basketball player to assign some sort of singular "basketball check" to abstract out an outcome of an offensive possession, they would look at you like you're deranged. Its utterly unphysical with respect to the process so the two parties are hopelessly estranged from one another.

They can't possibly be making the same decisions so, as such, they can't possibly be making the same decisions for the same reasons.

To use a bit of hyperbole, your method would require you to make every decision faced by your character, with access to all of the same information.

<snip>

So we abstract it out a bit. Let the character decide the minutiae, because the character knows a whole lot more about combat (and is more aware of the situation at hand) than the player. The player just makes the decision to attack, but the character experience a more nuanced reality

<snip>

- it's just two different ways of presenting the exact same information).

I don't disagree here. You don't need to convince me that mechanics that abstract to facilitate functional play are the best way to proceed if the aim is perpetuation of an enjoyable RPG experience. Even moreso, you certainly don't need to convince me that players and characters are so estranged from one another in their respective OODA loops that it is inevitable that players will be percieving different things, bear out a different orientation to their perceptions, be making different decisions (based on the preceding different perceptions and orientations + other things such as the concerns of table handling time + ease of use + how best to facilitate genre tropes and well-paced, climactic conflicts), and therefore this necessitates a different bent to their suite of possible actions to be deployed (due to action economy and several other gamist concerns).

What I don't agree with is that the theory of dissociative mechanics has any real meaning that transcends preference and/or that it has nothing to do with "what you cannot tolerate because you haven't had enough time/experience to internalize it." When someone says to me "just abstract a basketball check" and then the character and player are making the same decisions for the same reasons, while simultaneously holding other inconsistent positions on long-term mechanics, I know that something is extremely amiss (either with their experience with martial enterprises generally, basketball specifically, or they haven't fully considered how inconsistent that position is with respect to older mechanics that they have assimilated into their "what I can hand-wave" mental bin where mechanics get a pass.).

LostSoul

Adventurer
The problem here is what I attempted to display above. The character and the player are not even close to making the same decisions. <snip> If you ask an actual basketball player to assign some sort of singular "basketball check" to abstract out an outcome of an offensive possession, they would look at you like you're deranged. Its utterly unphysical with respect to the process so the two parties are hopelessly estranged from one another.

I don't know - if the decision was "to win this basketball game", then they (PC & player) are both making the same decision. (Whether or not that's an interesting decision is another issue.)

When you start to drill down into more detailed actions you can still maintain the relationship. I'm not familiar with basketball so I'll use hockey instead: "gain possession" "enter the offensive zone" "shoot on-net". You might not know how the PCs gain possession, just that they do; and maybe they enter the zone using a dump-in and puck recovery or a controlled entry. You don't know, and at this level of resolution it doesn't matter.

Of course, when you add stop-motion initiative into the mix, things get strange...

The problem here is what I attempted to display above. The character and the player are not even close to making the same decisions.
Okay, let me try to make it even simpler for you:

DM: The orc king has accepted your challenge, and he will allow the party to pass through his territory if you can beat him in a game of one-on-one basketball. That's an opposed check.

Player: Cool, I have a +15 bonus to Dexterity (Basketball) checks, because of my Dex 20, and my proficiency +5 with Expertise for another +5.

Character: I know that I am very good at the game of basketball, because I am naturally dexterous and have a lot of practice with basketball, including specialized training beyond what normal players would invest.

Player: I roll (d20 + 15) to see how well I apply my knowledge of basketball strategy, physical abilities, and ability to read the opponent over the course of the next half hour.

Character: I see that the orc king is very tall, so I will attempt to feint left and then slip around to the right, before performing the lay-up maneuver. I then see that my basket was successful, so I re-evaluate positions and situational variables to inform my next action.

DM: *rolls dice behind the screen* The orc king lumbers around and tries his best to block your shots, but you're just too fast for him, and you easily win with a final score of 26 to 14.

That's associative, because the player is not using any information that the character doesn't have - the character is perfectly aware of how good she is at basketball. To contrast, here's what a dissociative basketball encounter would look like:

Player: I spend three of my karma points, which I gained after rescuing someone from that burning house last week, to grant a +10 bonus on my next non-combat skill check.

It's dissociative because karma is not something that the character knows about, and cannot consciously choose to invoke. The decision of the player does not represent a decision of the character on any level, no matter how abstract.

Its like a two box model of the earth's climate system versus an extremely high resolution global climate model. The two cannot even relate to one another. If you ask an actual basketball player to assign some sort of singular "basketball check" to abstract out an outcome of an offensive possession, they would look at you like you're deranged. Its utterly unphysical with respect to the process so the two parties are hopelessly estranged from one another.
Now you're just embarrassing yourself. A very simple model can easily relate to a very complex model. Maybe you're unfamiliar with the concept of "relation"?

If you ask a basketball player how good she is, honestly, on a scale from +1 to +20, then she can give you an answer. Granted, it's probably pretty biased, and she'll probably try to go into more detail than that (I'm +14 at passing, but only +9 on three-pointers), but she can do it. She has access to what that information represents. If you ask who is better between two players, without going into more details, people can agree on that; there are objective metrics, about how much each person is likely to contribute toward victory, and you can calculate the likelihood of winning based on those objective factors.

I won't presume that you're entirely unfamiliar with the history of war games. Maybe you just forgot? But war games - with a map, and miniatures, and funky dice and all that - have been used to model actual military engagements. Real military tacticians have turned to such models when trying to decide which strategy to use in a given situation. There is enough correlation between a heavily abstracted dice model and reality that you can use the former to predict the latter.

What I don't agree with is that the theory of dissociative mechanics has any real meaning that transcends preference and/or that it has nothing to do with "what you cannot tolerate because you haven't had enough time/experience to internalize it."
It's fine. You can disagree with the theory, but that won't change its existence or applications any more than if you disagree with any other theory. The important thing is that the designers understand it, because they're the ones who decide how to apply the theory, or whether to ignore it because they don't care about modeling an objective reality.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If you ask a basketball player how good she is, honestly, on a scale from +1 to +20, then she can give you an answer.

Probably more relevant, there are lots and lots of advanced basketball statistics to rate players. For example, a player might answer "I have a PER of 19", which is their Player Efficiency Rating (with 15 being about average for a starter-quality player). Such numbers represent a whole series of statistics wrapped up in one number, and this number is calculated on a daily, seasonal, and career basis, and anyone can look it up.

D&D's magic is based on the Dying Earth by Jack Vance. How you claim that Vancian magic is "not a very good reason to justify metagame resources for spells because it's easy" is beyond me. Sure, it may have the happy effect of balancing metagame resources, but the reason Vancian spellcasting is in the game is because the designers wanted to emulate the kind of magic that appears in Dying Earth.

This is not so. D&D magic started out, like the rest of D&D, as a hacked tabletop wargame. And wizards getting to cast each spell once per battle was just the way the wargame worked - neither more nor less. It got called Vancian because Jack Vance's magic looks a little like it on a bad day if you squint a bit - but in practice Vance's actual magic (in which the greatest archmages might know half a dozen spells and negotiated with genies to do the rest of the work) is much better represented by 4e daily powers than older editions of D&D where you got a lot more spells when you could call yourself an archmage.

Okay, let me try to make it even simpler for you:

DM: The orc king has accepted your challenge, and he will allow the party to pass through his territory if you can beat him in a game of one-on-one basketball. That's an opposed check.

Player: Cool, I have a +15 bonus to Dexterity (Basketball) checks, because of my Dex 20, and my proficiency +5 with Expertise for another +5.

Character: I know that I am very good at the game of basketball, because I am naturally dexterous and have a lot of practice with basketball, including specialized training beyond what normal players would invest.

Player: I roll (d20 + 15) to see how well I apply my knowledge of basketball strategy, physical abilities, and ability to read the opponent over the course of the next half hour.

Character: I see that the orc king is very tall, so I will attempt to feint left and then slip around to the right, before performing the lay-up maneuver. I then see that my basket was successful, so I re-evaluate positions and situational variables to inform my next action.

DM: *rolls dice behind the screen* The orc king lumbers around and tries his best to block your shots, but you're just too fast for him, and you easily win with a final score of 26 to 14.

That's associative, because the player is not using any information that the character doesn't have - the character is perfectly aware of how good she is at basketball. To contrast, here's what a dissociative basketball encounter would look like:

Player: I spend three of my karma points, which I gained after rescuing someone from that burning house last week, to grant a +10 bonus on my next non-combat skill check.

It's dissociative because karma is not something that the character knows about, and cannot consciously choose to invoke. The decision of the player does not represent a decision of the character on any level, no matter how abstract.

As I have noticed ever since The Alexandrian wrote about disassociative mechanics, disassociative mechanics are a mix of strawmen and people not understanding what is going on in the system - or not wanting certain factors to be modelled.

If we look at the "associated" version of the rules you present, they are incredibly boring. It's a simple roll-off for what was planned to be something climactic but instead comes down to the roll of 1d20. To me that's no fun - if we are going to have an epic basketball showdown I want an epic basketball showdown. Not spamming a basketball skill and having a simple roll-off.

On the other hand the disassociated system, assuming that you get that system design has come on since Marvel FASERIP was written thirty years ago, is starting to get more interesting. You're not just taking ball handling skill into account. You've also got a morale factor - even in your example where the morale came from the fact that the person had rescued people earlier that week meaning that they were on a high and their self image was high enough that they would not give up to fatigue and defeat. But had the match been a friendly one without stakes they would have not spent the karma. They'd have taken the loss.

Even in your strawman disassociated system the decision made by the player ("Do I push myself hard enough that I might injure myself and will certainly give up a non-renewable resource that might save my life in a literal life or death struggle?") is much, much more interesting than the decision made by the player in the associated system ("What's my basketball skill?") And the question about how big a risk to take by going flat out at risk of hurting yourself (i.e. not having the Karma to spend when you need it) is one that is being made strictly in character.

And as I have shown the actual decision being made when the rubber meets the road ("Do I push myself flat out here at risk of minor injury and exhausting myself rather than play as if it was a friendly game?") is much closer to one that is being asked at the time than the one in the supposedly associated system (what can my player roll). What is not being checked at the time is where that Karma came from so it is irrelevant.

If you ask a basketball player how good she is, honestly, on a scale from +1 to +20, then she can give you an answer. Granted, it's probably pretty biased, and she'll probably try to go into more detail than that (I'm +14 at passing, but only +9 on three-pointers), but she can do it. She has access to what that information represents. If you ask who is better between two players, without going into more details, people can agree on that; there are objective metrics, about how much each person is likely to contribute toward victory, and you can calculate the likelihood of winning based on those objective factors.

And if that worked then the team with the biggest bank balance would always win the league. But assuming there is rough parity (I'm not beating Michael Jordan in a basketball game unless he's asleep or dead) then factors like teamwork and how well the team meshes as a unit, morale, rest, whether this is where the players go flat out because this is the big one or whether they are saving themselves for a bigger match later in the week, and other things all have a pretty big contributory factor. And even using your example the karma example took account of morale and whether the characters were pacing themselves or going flat out - and the supposedly associated one did not.

It's fine. You can disagree with the theory, but that won't change its existence or applications any more than if you disagree with any other theory. The important thing is that the designers understand it, because they're the ones who decide how to apply the theory, or whether to ignore it because they don't care about modeling an objective reality.

The question is whether the designers care about modelling things beyond an objective reality and actually want to get into the psychological reality of the individual concerned - something that is inherently subjective. If the individual's motivation and morale do not matter then modelling objective reality is sufficient for the purpose and you can rely exclusively on associated mechanics. If you care about motivation, morale, and how much people are willing to risk then strictly objective factors have ceased to be the determining ones and you need some subjective factors that are left up to the individual player to associate because different characters are associated differently.

Your appeal to wargames is, in fact, an appeal to wargames without morale rules. (Normally morale on a wide scale is handled statistically - but the narrower your zoom gets the worse an approximation this becomes).

pemerton

Legend
The problem here is what I attempted to display above. The character and the player are not even close to making the same decisions.

<snip>

That's associative, because the player is not using any information that the character doesn't have - the character is perfectly aware of how good she is at basketball.
In the first quote from Saelorn "association" is defined as "player and character making the same decisions for the same reasons".

In the second quote from Saelorn the character is clearly making decisions that the player is not, but the test for "association" has become "the player is not using any information that the character doesn't have".

Which is the actual definition of "association"? And is it relevant that the player in the second example very obviously is using information that the character doesn't have - such as the location of the d20, mathematical knowledge, etc?

Furthermore, as [MENTION=87792]Neonchameleon[/MENTION] points out, in a system with karma or similar (or 4e's rationed powers), the decision by the player to spend resources does reflect a decision or choice made by the character, namely, to commit more strongly and put everything on the line.

I don't know - if the decision was "to win this basketball game", then they (PC & player) are both making the same decision.
I'm not sure that's a decision as opposed to a hope, or perhaps a resolution that provides motivation for making particular decisions about what to do in the course of playing the game.

Remove ads