Can Sharpshooter be used with a Net?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You didn't answer the question of how many. How many is a numerical question. Please answer with a number.

How many hp do you lose when hit by a net?

LOL you are so funny!

You DON'T LOSE HP. You think you can "trap" people by insisting on a number when in fact nothing happens to affect your hp? Why do you keep trying to modify your hp after a net attack when a net doesn't affect it???

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
LOL you are so funny!

You DON'T LOSE HP. You think you can "trap" people by insisting on a number when in fact nothing happens to affect your hp? Why do you keep trying to modify your hp after a net attack when a net doesn't affect it???

It's sad that your methodology leads to an inability to answer a simple how many question.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It's sad that your methodology leads to an inability to answer a simple how many question.

It's sadder still, the saddest in fact, that you continue to persist when you are the only one who doesn't seem to grasp the simple concept that a net doesn't have to do "0 damage" when it doesn't deal damage as its effect.

And, for the record, the question has been answered several times by more than myself, you simply can't accept it because it doesn't satisfy your, um... understanding.

FrogReaver

I gave you a straight answer. Your HP total does not change.

Given the context of the conversation that is a non answer. We both agree that your hp total doesn’t change. But a non changing hp total only makes sense as an answer to “how much hp did you lose” if and only if the non changing hp total actually means 0 hp were lost. Otherwise you’ve failed to answer the how many hp was lost question.

So do you equate a non change in hp to losing 0 hp. If you don’t then could you actually answer the question about how many hp you lose when hit by a net?

Why is this directed at me as if I disagree with anything you just said?

You are claiming nets interact with hit point mechanics and I say they don't. If you agree with the point I made, then you are agreeing that nets don't interact with hit points. I feel you truly don't really understand the difference between the two. 8 pages of debate seems to be demonstrating this.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Given the context of the conversation that is a non answer. We both agree that your hp total doesn’t change. But a non changing hp total only makes sense as an answer to “how much hp did you lose” if and only if the non changing hp total actually means 0 hp were lost. Otherwise you’ve failed to answer the how many hp was lost question.
Maybe if you’re a computer that is only programmed to understand lack of change in terms of reduction by 0. Which would be a terrible way to program a computer. But that aside, you are a human being who understands English, so “your HP total doesn’t change” gives you sufficient information to perform the appropriate action (or more accurately lack of action) on your character sheet. You know, the scenario you posed before deciding to die on this “but HOW MANY did I lose?!?!” hill.

So do you equate a non change in hp to losing 0 hp. If you don’t then could you actually answer the question about how many hp you lose when hit by a net?
No, I do not. You’re trying to solve for X in the equation N - X = N. I’m telling you that is an inappropriate equation to model this scenario; should be no minus sign. N = N.

I also notice you’ve decided to completely ignore my post about damage causing loss of HP rather than being defined as loss of HP, presumably because it undermines the entire premise of this strategy you’re attempting to use to defend your clearly untenable position.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Maybe if you’re a computer that is only programmed to understand lack of change in terms of reduction by 0. Which would be a terrible way to program a computer. But that aside, you are a human being who understands English, so “your HP total doesn’t change” gives you sufficient information to perform the appropriate action (or more accurately lack of action) on your character sheet. You know, the scenario you posed before deciding to die on this “but HOW MANY did I lose?!?!” hill.

It gives you sufficient information if and only if "your hp doesn't change" means the same as "you lost 0 hp". The normal person understands those 2 statements are equivalent. That's why saying your hp doesn't change is normally an answer an adequate answer to the question. However, in your world "your hp doesn't change" is different than "you lost 0 hp" and so "your hp doesn't change" cannot be an answer to how much hp you lose because in your world "your hp doesn't change" is not a statement that quantifies anything. You see, you simply can't answer a how much question without a quantification of some kind. If your not providing a quantification then you are not answering the question.

Asgorath

Explorer
It's sadder still, the saddest in fact, that you continue to persist when you are the only one who doesn't seem to grasp the simple concept that a net doesn't have to do "0 damage" when it doesn't deal damage as its effect.

And, for the record, the question has been answered several times by more than myself, you simply can't accept it because it doesn't satisfy your, um... understanding.

At this point, I think I'm glad FrogReaver blocked me after the Shield Master discussion.

If we want to create a mathematical function to describe how much damage a net does, it's simply multiplication with zero. (any modifiers you try and add to net damage) * 0 = 0, done. Or, as most people seem to understand, nets don't do damage as clearly indicated in the PHB.

Remove ads