Can Sharpshooter be used with a Net?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Okay I'm going to simplify this.

What is damage?
What is 1 damage?
What is 0 damage?

Damage is defined as the loss of hp.
1 Damage is the loss of 1 hp -> X Damage is the loss of X hp -> 0 Damage is the loss of 0 hp

When you are hit with a net how many hp do you lose? (Obviously 0)

So given that being hit with a net caused you to lose 0 hp and that 0 damage is the loss of 0 hp then it follows that being hit with a net caused 0 damage (because it caused you to lose 0 hp).
I disagree with the bolded statement. Damage causes loss of HP, it is not defined as loss of HP. You can lose HP to sources other than damage, such as level 4 exhaustion.

HP is a resource, and damage is a game state that causes loss of that resource. When that resource is not being lost, it is not because a source has caused damage in the amount of 0, it is because no source has dealt damage, therefore the game state where hp is lost as a result of damage being taken has not occurred.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Then you can answer the question that @TaranTheWanderer refuses to answer. How much hp do I lose when hit with a net?

The correct answer is that your HP total does not change. Nothing has occurred that can cost loss (or gain, for that matter) of HP, so the question of how much HP you lose is irrelevant.

You’re trying to make the equation X - 0 = X, but it just isn’t. There is no subtraction occurring, so there is no equation. If you insisted on writing out what is happening in mathematical terms, you would write it as X = X, which isn’t even really an equation, it’s just a useless tautology.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm not refusing to answer the question. I answered it. By RAW, Nets don't interact with the Hit Point mechanic, just as they don't interact with the inspiration mechanic or the Background mechanic or the Vancian spellcasting mechanic. Your math isn't applicable to the topic. Your math is only applicable to changes made to a player's character sheet. A net makes 0 changes to a character sheet.

So, back to sharpshooter.
Q:Can you stack Sharpshooter with a Net?

A: Does sharpshooter make a change to a character sheet? Yes. It interacts with the Hit Point mechanic which uses a value called 'damage'. Doing 'damage' affects the next level of meta: changes to the character sheet. It does +1 'changes' to your character sheet.

Therefore, you cannot stack the effects of sharpshooter with the effects of a net because a net can only ever do 0 'changes'.

Why is this directed at me as if I disagree with anything you just said?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
By my definition it would be 0.

DM Taran: The goblin hits you with his net attack.
Player FrogReaver: How much hp do I lose.
DM Taran: N/A
Player FrogReaver: I'm confused. What does losing N/A hp mean? How do I represent the loss of N/A hp on my character sheet?

How silly...

As a player hit by the net why would you even ask "How much hp do I lose" when you know a net doesn't deal damage. And the DM would respond: Nets don't do damage, their effect is that you are restrained.

PlayerFrogReaver: HP's are applicable to my character though. I need to know how much hp to write on my character sheet after the net attack that you said caused me to lose N/A hp. I don't know how to modify my hp by a loss of N/A to write the new value on my character sheet.

Why are you writing down anything about your hp? When hit by a Darkness spell do you write down anything about your hp? When that Roper's Tendril attack hits do you write down anything concerning your hp?

No (or at least I hope you don't). Maybe anytime anything happens to your characters you erase your hp and write it down again. Strange behavior, but if that is what makes your day...

You might as well stop, no one is going to say what you want because we all understand "-" means nets don't deal damage, not that they deal "0" damage. Your basic argument is that because the outcome is the same, the effects are.

Your way someone who has a way to modify damage (say with SS) can argue that the -5/+10 means a net should do 10 damage. It could also be used in Sneak Attacks, should add the Dex mod to damage, and so on.

My way none of those things are applicable because nets don't deal damage in any way, shape, or form. There is no "0" to modify through other features of the game.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The correct answer is that your HP total does not change. Nothing has occurred that can cost loss (or gain, for that matter) of HP, so the question of how much HP you lose is irrelevant.

It's relevant to me. So how much hp do you lose when you are hit with a net? Why is it so hard to get a straight answer to that question?

Remove ads