Can Sharpshooter be used with a Net?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Huh? My first post in this thread was play this RAI. At this point I’m just here to correct the faulty math. No damage = 0 damage just like no apples = 0 apples

The argument isn't about "no damage = 0 damage". Of course no damage equals zero damage! But this is about the fact that something is not capable of dealing damage compared to 0 damage. Nil or not applicable DNE 0.

Also, you never addressed my Roper example. A perfect instance when an attack does not deal damage in any fashion. 5E does not equate "not capable of dealing damage" to "0 damage" although you seem to believe otherwise. Several attacks have either damage or an effect, and some have both. Nets and the Roper's Tendril attack are examples of attacks that have an effect but don't deal damage to the target.

In contrast to a net, which does not deal damage at all, consider a character with a STR 8 who punches. That character deals 1 damage for the punch, -1 for Str mod, equals 0 damage total. It isn't that the attack does not deal damage, it is that the damage is ineffectual at reducing the target's HP and that the damage dealt is 0.

A net has no chance to reduce the target's HP total because it is neither assigned damage (like a blowgun dart or a punch, both dealing 1) nor does it roll for damage (like a dagger). As has also been pointed out, all damage has a type assigned to it (slashing, radiant, thunder, etc.). Nets have no damage type because they are not capable of dealing damage.

I would think you are intelligent enough to understand the difference, and to continue means you just want to argue. I have better use for my time (where is that Shield Master thread...? ;) j/k).

Dausuul

Legend
Sorry, but I love it when people play this card. :D Of course there is no rule! 5E is build on a lack of rules and in many ways is as flimsy as a house built of cards...
Well, yes, that's the point. FrogReaver is claiming there is a special rule that nets do not add ability damage. This is his way of dodging the question of "If you can add Sharpshooter bonus damage with a net, why can't you add your Dex bonus as well?"

I'm asking him to produce this supposed rule. He hasn't, of course, because it doesn't exist. Either "--" means null and nets cannot deal damage at all, or "--" means 0 and you should add your Dex mod like any other ranged weapon.

The concept of 0 = nothing is a grade school level concept. If you don't get that then no amount of me explaining is going to help you.
I take it that you do not have any mathematical education past grade school, because otherwise you would know that a value of 0 is not the same as there not being a value at all.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I take it that you do not have any mathematical education past grade school, because otherwise you would know that a value of 0 is not the same as there not being a value at all.

Where did I suggest there was no difference between 0 and no value at all. Instead I suggested that the phrase “a net does no damage at all” means a net does 0 damage (and mathematically it does)

The spell darkness does no damage at all. Using your logic, it does 0 damage. Yet, Empowered casting from the evocation specialization allows you to do your INT modifier to the damage of all evocations. So, I could argue that my 10th level wizard can drop darkness on a group and hit everyone for damage. With one level of Druid, I can do the same with Faerie Fire.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, it doesn’t. Soap does not deal damage. Damage is not among the effects of hitting a creature with soap.

Damage not being among the effects of hitting a creature with soap means soap deals 0 damage. 0 damage is how you define something that does no damage.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Damage not being among the effects of hitting a creature with soap means soap deals 0 damage. 0 damage is how you define something that does no damage.

No, it isn’t. Defining it that way is assigning a numerical value to something that does not exist, and causes problems like the one TaranTheWanderer pointed out with Darkness doing Int damage with Empowered Casting.

Remove ads