• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can Someone Explain Bonus Actions?

Marshall

First Post
Just think of it as an extra type of action that you can take once per turn. A "minor" action, if you will. :)

Sure they're only there if "granted", but then you could say that your regular action is only there unless it's taken away (by being stunned or whatever).

What he said. Its a needless obfuscation of the action economy. Unfortunately, 5e has at least a half dozen variations of what 3e eventually got around to codifying as the swift action and 4e just called minor. Its one of the things thats going to make up the 100 page errata document by this time next year...

MarkB

Legend
So are there any trap builds that don't get bonus actions?

I think the greater 'trap' build would be one which includes multiple abilities reliant on bonus actions, that are each useful every round. If you have to choose between two abilities each round, both of which would do something useful, then the value of each ability is halved compared to a build which includes only one or the other.

Ruzak

First Post
I think the greater 'trap' build would be one which includes multiple abilities reliant on bonus actions, that are each useful every round. If you have to choose between two abilities each round, both of which would do something useful, then the value of each ability is halved compared to a build which includes only one or the other.
Yes, and isn't the classic 3e dual wielding rogue one of these?

Remathilis

Legend
Yes, and isn't the classic 3e dual wielding rogue one of these?

If you mean "...in 5e" then maybe?

To be honest, it isn't as much a trap as people think. It means every round, you get an extra action to

* Move again (Dash)
* Hide
* Get away from a foe (Disengage)
* Make an attack with an off-hand (TWF)
* make sleight of hand checks
* Pick locks and disable traps
* Use a (nonmagical) object

So unless you suffer choice paralysis, its pretty easy to pick the most appropriate action each round.

Henry

Autoexreginated
They seem to have died down now - I don't think there's any immediate likelihood of any more appearing. Just try to avoid presenting an obvious opportunity for further wordplay, and we'll be free to move on to other topics.

For some of us, it's a minor homage to a former poster here who passed away in 2008, who loved his puns.

E. Tallitnics

Explorer
What he said. Its a needless obfuscation of the action economy. Unfortunately, 5e has at least a half dozen variations of what 3e eventually got around to codifying as the swift action and 4e just called minor. Its one of the things thats going to make up the 100 page errata document by this time next year...
I'm curious as to what the 6 (or more) action economy variations you're referring to are?

I only know of: Action, Reaction, Bonus Action and Move. All currently very well codified.

Agamon

Adventurer
"Trap build" lol

I suppose a wizard is a trap build because he can cast a spell and throw a dagger in the same round. He actually has to make choice. Heaven forbid a PC can't do every thing every round.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads