• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can undead cast healing spells

daemonslye

First Post
A former good cleric (NPC), turned into a ghost (but not evil;
long story) wants to cast a healing spell (he is still receiving
spells from his diety). One, is this possible given his "negative
planular nature"? He may cause damage at the same
time and may take damage (i suppose) during the process.
Thanks for your input.

~D

Destil

Explorer
I'd see this as being the same as a living cleric using inflict spells. I'd specuate vampire cleris use a lot of cure spells when the in-fighting starts. In otherwords, I'd allow it.

Just be carefull with healing circle.

the Jester

Legend
Sure he can, but he needs an inflict wounds spell to heal himself since he's undead. Those cure spells are deadly dangerous on other undead, too.

daemonslye

First Post
So, I am thinking of something like this:

1. hurt living human PC fighting an evil nasty BBEG
2. ghost npc casts a cure spell and touches human rising through floor
3. human takes 1d4pnts of damage from the ghost's "corrupting touch"
4. the ghost then cures the human with the spell
5. assuming the human "views" the ghost, he must make a save vs the ghost's "horrific appearance"
6. the ghost does not take any incidental damage from the cure spell because the positive energy is being directed away from him.

Does this sound correct? Thanks

~D

Berk

First Post
So, I am thinking of something like this:

1. hurt living human PC fighting an evil nasty BBEG
2. ghost npc casts a cure spell and touches human rising through floor
3. human takes 1d4pnts of damage from the ghost's "corrupting touch"
4. the ghost then cures the human with the spell
5. assuming the human "views" the ghost, he must make a save vs the ghost's "horrific appearance"
6. the ghost does not take any incidental damage from the cure spell because the positive energy is being directed away from him.

Does this sound correct? Thanks

Touch spells don't work when the caster is incorporeal.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Touch attacks can be made by incorpereal creatures according to the DMG, page 77-78, so why not touch attack spells.

Berk

First Post
There is no real ruling on this but in T&B under the spell ghostform it says while incorporeal you can't use touch spells on corporeal targets, unless of course they are on the ethereal plane.

Since ghostform turns you incorporeal it is easy to, oh god yes I'm going to say that dreaded word, assume *gasp* that incorporeal beings can't use touch spells on corporeal targets.

And I might add not all incorporeal creatures have a touch attack. And those that do have an incorporeal touch attack which is different then a normal touch attack.

Remove ads