• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you cast Spellstaff on your Changestaff, Shillelagh, or Staff of the Woodlands?

Noumenon

First Post
For Changestaff, I don't see any issues with casting Spellstaff on it.

For Staff of the Woodlands, it matters if a magical staff counts as a wooden quarterstaff.

For Shillelagh, it matters if "nonmagical" means "no magic cast on it at all," or "no enhancement bonus."

What do you think?

Noumenon

First Post
I don't understand, I just gave out about eight XP in a row on five-year-old threads about Spellstaff, but now in my own thread the XP doesn't work?! Thanks for the answer. By the way, my latest sorcerer has the same name as you :)

Sekhmet

First Post
My reason for saying "yes" is that at no time is the quarterstaff ever innately magical, just temporarily enchanted. It would be like saying an Animal with Greater Magic Fang on turns into a Magical Beast.
Likewise, all magical items are made of their base components + a masterwork component. There is no reason that the base component cannot be wood for the Staff of the Woodlands.

The quick and dirty history of Sekhmet follows.
Sekhmet was my first wizard that ever amounted to anything. 2e, Archetypal Necromancer. Started with 1 HP.
My first few years as an adventurer were so frighteningly, perilously close to death at every step of the way that she started making pacts with demons and devils just to survive.
She cut the thumbs off of her enemies to throw them at people when she needed to run away. It was a good diversionary tactic, "Hey, is that hunch-backed, scaly human with glowing, cat-like green eyes, a forked tongue, and a prehensile tail throwing fingers at us?"

She started with an 18 Comeliness and Charisma, before her first body swap she was down to 3 in both.

She ended up building armies, subverting thrones, even killing some Gods. Then a series of necessary missteps and a calculated leap into a temple of Helm to escape a greater demon and his cohorts.
Helm smote her immediately after smiting the demons. Lv27 Necro/4 Fighter, poof.

Last edited:

anest1s

First Post
Yes.

Spellstaff says "You store one spell that you can normally cast in a wooden quarterstaff." .
I see no problem with the quarterstaff being magic. I mean at level 6, it will be magic.

However I am not sure about Changestaff. I mean when it isn't a quarterstaff any more but a treant, the spell probably won't remain inside...?

Sekhmet

First Post
Quite exactly my point. Temporarily enchanting something does not change it's nature (usually), whereas permanently altering it does.

I agree with the idea that the Treant would be unable to access the stored spell.

Remove ads