Can you flank with a non-ally?

green slime

First Post
mvincent said:
Thank you for clarifying. My apologies for lumping you into that group of people. I just see it so frequently on this particular board that I dread anytime I post researched supplemental WotC information here.

Well, while posting I actually did intend to append a "thanx for posting link" note, but didn't take the time. Guess I got mud on my face this time. :D I do appreciate being pointed in the right direction, especially after specifically asking for what the abbreviation meant. Its not that they don't have gems worth finding/reading. I'll be sure to include a "my thanks" next time.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
mvincent said:
Also, the line "two friendly characters flank an opponent..." in the rules implies that at least one character is flanking at a time when he is not melee attacking. i.e. the syntax of flanking implies that one can flank even when it is not their turn (or consequently, when they are not currently attacking with a melee weapon).

This was explicit in the 3E Flanking text:

If a character is making a melee attack against an opponent, and an ally directly opposite the character is threatening the opponent, the character and the character's ally flank the opponent. A character gains a +2 flanking bonus on the attack roll. A rogue in this position can also sneak attack the target. The ally must be on the other side of the opponent, so that the opponent is directly between the character and the ally.

So if character A were making a melee attack, and character B threatened, then both A and B are flanking.

In 3.5, this nice clear sentence has gotten lost. But we're still left with only two situations described in the text: the line test, or melee-attack-plus-threatening-friendly.

-Hyp.

Remove ads