• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you teleport an unwilling, but unconscious, person with you?

Lazybones

Adventurer
The write-up of the teleport spell indicates that you cannot take an unwilling person with you. What if that person in unconscious, and thus incapable of informed consent? Would he be unwilling by default, or treated as just another object?

mikebr99

Explorer
"Hey you..." (kicks subject on the floor)

"Do you not want to be teleported to my evil lair?" (waits for response...)

"I guess that means - Sure, I'd love to see your evil lair, and I hope you have lots of nasty things there also..."

Crothian

First Post
Lazybones said:
The write-up of the teleport spell indicates that you cannot take an unwilling person with you. What if that person in unconscious, and thus incapable of informed consent? Would he be unwilling by default, or treated as just another object?

Not able to give consent means no consent in my book.

mikebr99

Explorer
Re: Re: Can you teleport an unwilling, but unconscious, person with you?

Crothian said:

Not able to give consent means no consent in my book.

An unconscious person is helpless... i.e. not able to make the will save necessary to resist the teleport spell.

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Can you teleport an unwilling, but unconscious, person with you?

mikebr99 said:

An unconscious person is helpless... i.e. not able to make the will save necessary to resist the teleport spell.

Teleport has no save.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies, all. This question has to do with a major plot point coming up in my story hour, so I think I'll probably Rule 0 it and go with my original choice (i.e. yes). Seems like it's a matter of opinion on implementation rather than a firm rule in the books (I don't read the sage or have any of the follow-up rulebooks, so I wasn't sure if this question had come up and been resolved elsewhere).

I'll check back later and see if anyone else has weighed in.

LB

The Crimster

First Post
I sort of think this is a no-brainer, and I'm surprised at Crothian's response.

You cannot be 'willful' in any way when you are unconscious. Yes, you can be teleported. Of course!

This is like asking if you can use dodge while unconscious.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The Crimster said:
I sort of think this is a no-brainer, and I'm surprised at Crothian's response.

You cannot be 'willful' in any way when you are unconscious. Yes, you can be teleported. Of course!

This is like asking if you can use dodge while unconscious.
The spell requires a willing creature. This is differant than saying it will work unless the creature is unwilling. The former will not include unconscious creatures, the latter will. The language of the spell is the former, and that is the question, unless I am totally missing the point. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads