Canadian Federal Elections, eh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
That is true. They got 10 seats and a bit more votes than the Green Party who only got one seat. The current electoral system isn't representative. You just need 40% of the vote to form a majority government.

I like the German system where you vote for a local representative and then vote for a party list.

Well, the system has never been representative to be fair. That 40% number has been around since day 1.

Yeah, I missed out the last election. I'm living overseas, so, wasn't paying attention too much the last time around.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Well, the system has never been representative to be fair. That 40% number has been around since day 1.
That its sort of a tradition doesn't make it more acceptable.

Yeah, I missed out the last election. I'm living overseas, so, wasn't paying attention too much the last time around.
And look what happened.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend

"First Past the Post", for the most part, works. It means that you can elect a person who, theoretically, represents your regional interests in government. I don't see how that would be the case with proportional representation and, quite frankly, it makes me worry that there would be a Balkanization of politics in Canada. Ranked balloting makes more sense to me than does proportional representation. If you haven't been away too long then hopefully the previous government didn't manage to pull you ability to vote in Canadian Federal elections ;)

As an aside your name wouldn't happen to be Chris, would it? a couple of years back, when I was active on the DPReview photography forum, there was a Canadian named Chris living in (IIRC) Fukuoka, who was on that board. Longshot, but thought that I'd ask.

Cor Azer

First Post
First past the post is only good because it's easy to count. Pretty much every other system requires calculations, weights, or cross-referencing tables.

I'm a fan of ranking/preferential ballots, not proportional ballots. Better compromise to have 80% of people's second choice, than one that is 40%'s first but 60%'s last.

Kaodi

Hero
List candidates are dumb. It should be considered a serious failure of imagination that any system should need a list of candidates without regional attachment. At the very least if you wanted to go with something like MMP the candidates that fill out the ranks should be selected from those who got the highest number of votes without winning their regional seat, just with some cross-referencing function so that no province ended up with more than its fair share of candidates being sent to Parliament overall.

I favour something like Stephane Dion's system, which would have super districts with multiple seats assigned to them and balanced internally. So everyone would still be a representative of their district, but the districts would be bigger overall.

Hussar

Legend
"First Past the Post", for the most part, works. It means that you can elect a person who, theoretically, represents your regional interests in government. I don't see how that would be the case with proportional representation and, quite frankly, it makes me worry that there would be a Balkanization of politics in Canada. Ranked balloting makes more sense to me than does proportional representation. If you haven't been away too long then hopefully the previous government didn't manage to pull you ability to vote in Canadian Federal elections ;)

As an aside your name wouldn't happen to be Chris, would it? a couple of years back, when I was active on the DPReview photography forum, there was a Canadian named Chris living in (IIRC) Fukuoka, who was on that board. Longshot, but thought that I'd ask.

Sorry, nope, not me. I'm actually in Kanda, not Fukuoka. :D Been out of Canada for about 20 years now, so, voting hasn't really been a priority. :p

Ryujin

Legend
Sorry, nope, not me. I'm actually in Kanda, not Fukuoka. :D Been out of Canada for about 20 years now, so, voting hasn't really been a priority. :p

Well it was worth asking. He was a damned good photographer and posted lots of shots from his day-to-day life :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads