Candlekeep Mysteries Review Round-Up – What the Critics Say

Candlekeep Mysteries is out and so are a lot of reviews. Let's take a look at what other critics think of D&D's literary adventure anthology and how it compares to my E.N. World review.

CK3.jpg

The Positive​

Just like I did, Polygon praised Candlekeep Mysteries as being a resource for DMs with tools, tricks, and maps that can be repurposed as well as adventures that can be expanded or placed wherever you want. Polygon also points out that each book is its own character with a history and a look that is just waiting for someone to sell replicas on Etsy. The adventures themselves are called “tremendous” with its diverse team praised for producing some of the best writing in this edition of D&D.

Mush like the other reviews, Tribality praises CM's flexibility in addition to offering good mystery adventures. It also likes the advice for how DMs can set soft and hard limits to ensure everyone at the table is comfortable, which is necessary since some story aspects could be disturbing. The anthology aspect with Candlekeep as its hub is praised, along with requests for similar anthologies with five-room dungeons, short wilderness adventures, and more. Tribality breaks down each adventure and then calls CM a “must have.”

Geeks of Doom likes that each adventure could be worked into an existing campaign, with or without the link to Candlekeep. It also emphasizes how wide the net is that this book casts with its many locations and range of adventure styles and tones.

Nerdvana thinks that Candlekeep Mysteries has enough material to keep DMs “busy for ages.” As a brand, D&D is praised for trying new things. The review also reflects that the individual adventures in CM are about the same size as the slim modules of the old days but get a fresh perspective from the diverse creative team. Nerdvana also agrees that Candlekeep is a compelling location around which to set adventures.

CK2.jpg

The Not So Positive But Still Positive​

Strange Assembly also praised Candlekeep Mysteries, especially for being different than the typical dungeon crawl and focusing on mystery and investigation adventures instead of combat-heavy ones. It notes that the book doesn't offer new rules, and the adventures require less mechanical skill from the DM, but that DMs who can set a tone, especially for the creepy stories, will do well with CM. SA thought the level 2-3 adventures were the weakest while singling out Canopic Being as particularly good.

The Gamer considers Candlekeep Mysteries both a fun book and a big step toward making the game more inclusive. The Gamer's only real complaint is that it doesn't have a connecting plot between the stories.

Bell of Lost Souls also praises both The Book of Inner Alchemy and Canopic Being as well as the overall variety of adventures. In fact, it labeled CM as a “much-needed break from your typical D&D adventure” and not the standard adventure with the standard reward. BOLS would like to see what these writers can do with a full adventure, not just short, self-contained ones.

CK1.jpg

Overall Grade: A+​

None of these reviewers provide an official grade but with the extensive praise each one lavishes on the book it's reasonable to assign A grades to the reviews except for Polygon and Geeks of Doom, both of which praise the book without any hesitations or reservations, so they would be A+ grades. I would also give Candlekeep Mysteries an A+ grade because it's so solid and imaginative in all categories. That means D&D's newest book averages between A and A+.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
It certainly seems like it, though I still definitely don't agree with that. There's nothing, nothing wrong at all with being inherently evil/chaotic/good/whatever, really. This is another step to make themselves seen as more and more politically correct while there would be no need for that, at all. Races, alignments, and all the more recent things changed recently were good just the way they were.
Total liberal here who is pro-LGBT, minorities, and feminists, but I could not agree more with ibenny. The word police are really getting strict, what a turn-off. It's a game, not some legislation for equality or other important document. I believe in political correctness, but it just seems like it is getting obsessive.

It reminded us a lot of aliens exploring a mysterious abandoned facility with all the people gone. Well I replaced the monsters with setting specific ones, the fact its the same monster over and over can be repetitious. If nothing else vary up their hp.
It would benefit from some kind of meanlock queen. It's high on horror, low on interesting fights.

mcmillan

Adventurer
Being angry that the PC race, background and magic items are cut, is just being petulant. Outrage over those two elements is uncalled for.
That seems to be missing what is bothering him about the cuts. This tweet seems to summarize how he feels about the specific things that were cut

My Adventure:
Ancient gods stirring from their slumber bring the ancient past to the modern day, imperiling the local Grippli village as factions of Yuan-ti battle.

Edited/Developed Adventure:
Primitive frog people need rescue by players, Yuan-ti are evil because evil

I don't have the book so can't judge how close it is to that description, though when the official wizards account tweeted a preview description it seems to have a pretty different emphasis

Engraved cylinders contained within a book tell a gripping tale when rolled across wet clay. This adventure updates the grippli (distant relatives to bullywugs) for fifth edition and sheds some light on grippli society.

If changes were needed it seems communication to ensure key aspects were kept was missing

The Glen

Legend
It would benefit from some kind of meanlock queen. It's high on horror, low on interesting fights.
In my revision we added a lot of traps, but that was because those are common to the creature that we replaced the bad guy with. Which would have been a great idea except the Rogue took the observant feat so traps were not even an inconvenience. But you do have to do something to avoid repetition in encounters

Last edited:

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
So much for the thread
You know what would be nice? To read more about reviews of Candlekeep adventures in this thread, as advertised.

The discussion over The Book of Cylinders and its editing is definitely important, but that needs its own thread, so as to not completely overrun this one, to the detriment of the other 16 adventures in the book...

Shemshimes Bedtime Rhyme - can’t wait to play it, the art really grabbed me 👍 just plain fun to read.

The lower level ones are a little bland, but totally subjective of course .

Kandlekeep looks like a hoot with the right group, and everyone into it and aware of mood.

Canopic Being is just excellent 👍👍 can’t wait to use it

The Glen

Legend
So much for the thread

Shemshimes Bedtime Rhyme - can’t wait to play it, the art really grabbed me 👍 just plain fun to read.

The lower level ones are a little bland, but totally subjective of course .

Kandlekeep looks like a hoot with the right group, and everyone into it and aware of mood.

Canopic Being is just excellent 👍👍 can’t wait to use it
From a DM perspective, extra dimensional spaces finally did something I've been calling for since the beginning by putting stat blocks next to the sections that the monster appears in. And then nothing for the next 16 adventures

My players enjoyed most of them. A few of them they thought weren't very creative. The only ones they didn't like from start to finish was the inner Alchemy and the 16th level one at the end. They love the gnome rocket scientist
How... Have you played through them all??! The thing's been out for like a week...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases