• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cannot geto Wushu RPG

Woas

First Post
Hi. Me and some friends just saw the movie Shot 'Em Up! the other night. Great times. The idea for somebody to run a 'mindless killfest' with lots of over the top action came up and we're were looking for a good rule-system to use and we found this little free one called Wushu. Seems like the main page it is on cannot be loaded. Does anyone know any info about that or know where it can still be downloaded at?

Thanks!

XCorvis

First Post
Hammerhead said:
Wushu's pretty awesome. The rules aren't technically free; I know that Pulp Fu and Wire Fu (Wushu's 2nd edition, if you will) cost a few bucks for the PDF on RPGNow. However, there's also a Wushu wiki where you can find the rules.

http://wiki.saberpunk.net/pm2/pmwiki.php?n=Wushu.HomePage

Wushu is free - or at least, the rules are. It's like D&D/SRD. The D&D books have the flavor, but the SRD has all the rules you need.

The main site looks down to me too, but like Hammerhead said, the rules are also on the wiki. There's also a variant set of rules that explains things in a slightly different way that you might find helpful.

Woas

First Post
Thanks for the wiki. It will come in handy for now to read it over.
Unfortunetly the links to the "offline" rules (.pdf and rtf) also do not work, which I really want so I can print it out and bring it to my next weekly game for the group to peruse and think about.

Edit: And trying that "turn this website into a .pdf" option keeps getting errors and failing.

Last edited:

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Hey,

The game you're looking for is Feng Shui. Hands down the best over the top action RPG. I believe Atlas Games is the current publisher.

Jack.

Woas

First Post
I was looking at that one too. How easy is it to divorce it from its implied setting?

After reading the Wushu Wiki I realize, I don't even need to print it out since the game is so simple. Not to hi-jack my own thread (can I even do that?), but I have one question about Wushu regards its rules. When you are rolling the dice, what determines the ratio of Ying and Yang dice? Does a person who say, gets 5 dice through discription just arbitrarily picks a couple Yang dice (say three) and then the rest Yin dice to cover their rear?

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Explorer
XCorvis said:
Wushu is free - or at least, the rules are. It's like D&D/SRD. The D&D books have the flavor, but the SRD has all the rules you need.

Maybe, but the author deserves a little money, doesn't he?

Jack of Shadows said:
Hey,

The game you're looking for is Feng Shui. Hands down the best over the top action RPG. I believe Atlas Games is the current publisher.

Jack.

Ha! Wushu disagrees, violently. It leaps in the air (+1 dice), delivering a vicious spinning kick to Feng Shui's midsection (+1 dice), sending the hapless game flying through the air...only to be ensnared by the chain of Wushu's kusarigama (+1 dice). Wushu yanks Feng Shui back towards it, impaling it on the blade end of the kusarigama (+1 dice). Wushu sneers into the pain-filled eyes of the sorely wounded Feng Shui. "Too slow," the game quips triumphantly (+1 dice). :)

When we played, we would generally just grab whatever we felt like, but obviously our descriptions would correlate to our die-grabbing tactics. Describing how you got beat on generally landed you a few defensive dice (ironic, isn't it?); also, if you seem to have trouble coming up with descriptions, try having the hero and the nemesis switch off a little in their descriptions: each describes a counter to the other's attack, then a riposte.

XCorvis

First Post
Hammerhead said:
Maybe, but the author deserves a little money, doesn't he?

Absolutely, and my understanding of the paid product is that it contains some additional rules and other goodies that make it worth while even if you're not willing to pay for what you can get for free. I was merely disagreeing with the statement that the rules are not technically free.

Jack of Shadows said:

Feng Shui is a fun game with a lot of similarities, but they appeal to different types of players.

I haven't played Wushu so I can't comment on that. I can however tell you that Feng Shui can be divorced from the implied setting pretty easily. Just ignore the archtypes that deal with magic and the supernatural and use the system to replicate all the things you see in action movies.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads