• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can't connect to the URL, only the IP

Klaus

First Post
(I've been bugging Morrus and Psion thanks to orkut, but I thought I'd bug more people here... :) ).

For the past 3 days I've been unable to connect to either EN World or Circvs Maximvs, I keep getting a "Server Not Found" message. Can't connect to www.cyberstreet.com either.

Psion sent me the IP address for EN World, and that's how I'm currently connecting (it's very annoying, though, because all images are broken links and I have to log in everytime I connect). And even thought their IPs are the same, I can't connect to Circvs Maximvs (even if I try the link to the Sci-Fi News in Media Lounge, which is expressed with the IP, instead of the URL).

I tried pinging both sites, and got no reply (but I can ping the IP). I can ping the sites through another website, though ( www.dnsstuff.com ).

So, any insights?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Unrelated, but I started an EN World Orkut Community. :heh:

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Jdvn1 said:
Unrelated, but I started an EN World Orkut Community. :heh:

So did I.

And IUH has started a CM Orkut Community.

Klaus - I'm at a loss. Both are running fine for everyone else.

For CM, try the ENW IP you had and add /circvs/ to it. Might work.

Other than that - it sounds like a DNS problem between you and the sevrer somewhere. One of those things you just have to wait to clear up.

cybertalus

First Post
First things first, if you've got any firewall software running (including the one built in to XP), disable it and try to connect.

Next if you're on broadband, I'd try cycling the power to both your cable modem/DSL connector AND any router you've got connected to them. Shut both devices down and leave them off for at least a minute. Shut down your PC as well while you're doing this.

Next, check your HOSTS file. If it has an entry for ENWorld which is different from the IP address Psion gave you, then comment out that entry and see if that fixes things. You may need to reboot after doing this.

Alternatively if there is no entry in your HOSTS file for ENWorld, adding one with the IP address Psion gave you might fix the problem. Again a reboot may be necessary. Even if this does work, if ENWorld's IP address ever changes, you won't be able to connect while that entry remains in your HOSTS file.

Another option is to see if your ISP has alternate DNS servers available. The messageboards at dslreports.com are a good source for this info for US ISPs, but I dunno about Brazillian ones.

Good luck. DNS problems are a pain.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Morrus said:
I did a search for one and it didn't turn up. I just did another search and it still didn't show up (though mine was made five days earlier).

Sigh.

Well, good to know! :)

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Morrus said:
Other than that - it sounds like a DNS problem between you and the sevrer somewhere. One of those things you just have to wait to clear up.
Bingo.

That's your problem. It's an internet provider issue. Likely the route that it normaly takes to get here is down.

Back when I was using my own DNS server, I had it linked to several other servers. I could try to pull some up, but finding a DNS server isn't too hard with a google search. Or simply reconnect to your service provider.

Twin Rose

First Post
Last week, I was unable to get to www.microsoft.com ... Which is unfortunate because that's the address my DSL modem connects to to self-test the DNS and make sure it's working. Everything else was fine, but my DSL was convinced that it wasn't working, so even while actively online it was warning me that I was working offline.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
It would appear that Capellan is having the same problem. Hasn't been able to connect from his PC in a couple of days, and he's already disabled his firewall and checked with his provider to make sure it's not a DNS issue.

unleashed

First Post
Same problem here, and I too have checked with my ISP. I'm logged in through my ISPs proxy server right now as its IP address is in is a different range.

Remove ads