• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can't Find Trees- Damn Forest. Secret of Good DM'ing?

Wraith Form

Explorer
Raven Crowking said:
A newbie DM creates multiple-solution challenges the same way that any DM does: by setting up a challenge, and then allowing the players to solve it without saying "No" simply because the players came up with a solution the DM didn't foresee.

It isn't necessary for the DM to come up with the multiple solutions. The DM merely has to set up a situation that doesn't include the line "X can only be solved with Y." The players will happily do the rest.
(small christmas-sized lightbulb goes off dimly above Wraith's head)
Thank you--oh my god, thanks! That answers a question I've had for (literally) ages!

Now that I've had it spelled out, it seems simple and self-evident.

It's actually one of my 'golden rules' when I do DM (which, obviously, isn't very often): "never say flat-out no...always allow players to try anything (even if the DC is astronomical)". Your response blends seamlessly with the golden rule.

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
Spider said:
Oh, and is it cheating if one of my pieces of advice is:
Go read this.

Spider

Well it's got a lot of good stuff, but it doesn't answer the original question of:

"What would be the 3 most important pieces of advice you'd give a newbie DM".

Unless checking out the link was your first piece of advice & your currently ruminating over the other two :p

deltadave

First Post
My top 3 most important notes for a new DM would have to be:

1) Start Small - add scope as you add experience.
2) Keep the game moving - don't spend lots of time arguing rules, make a ruling and move on

The most important one IMHO:
3) Be entertaining and have fun.

Remove ads