Can't Find Trees- Damn Forest. Secret of Good DM'ing?

Wraith Form

Explorer
Raven Crowking said:
A newbie DM creates multiple-solution challenges the same way that any DM does: by setting up a challenge, and then allowing the players to solve it without saying "No" simply because the players came up with a solution the DM didn't foresee.

It isn't necessary for the DM to come up with the multiple solutions. The DM merely has to set up a situation that doesn't include the line "X can only be solved with Y." The players will happily do the rest.
(small christmas-sized lightbulb goes off dimly above Wraith's head)
Thank you--oh my god, thanks! That answers a question I've had for (literally) ages!

Now that I've had it spelled out, it seems simple and self-evident.

It's actually one of my 'golden rules' when I do DM (which, obviously, isn't very often): "never say flat-out no...always allow players to try anything (even if the DC is astronomical)". Your response blends seamlessly with the golden rule.

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
Spider said:
Oh, and is it cheating if one of my pieces of advice is:
Go read this.

Spider

Well it's got a lot of good stuff, but it doesn't answer the original question of:

"What would be the 3 most important pieces of advice you'd give a newbie DM".

Unless checking out the link was your first piece of advice & your currently ruminating over the other two :p

deltadave

First Post
My top 3 most important notes for a new DM would have to be:

1) Start Small - add scope as you add experience.
2) Keep the game moving - don't spend lots of time arguing rules, make a ruling and move on

The most important one IMHO:
3) Be entertaining and have fun.

Remove ads