Pathfinder 1E Cantrip/orison casting feat, advice/opinions sought.

aglondier

Explorer
I am looking to give my fighter a tiny bit of zing, a taste of spellcasting, without requiring a dip. Something along the lines of:

Arcane Dabbler
Prerequisites: Int 10 or Cha 10
Benefit: You gain a single cantrip spell slot per day, as either a Sorceror or Wizard (your choice, so long as you have a score of at least 10 in the ability that controls the spellcasting for that class). You must make this decision when you first take the feat. Thereafter, you have an arcane spell failure chance if you wear armor and are treated as a sorcerer or wizard of your arcane spellcaster level (minimum 1st) for the purpose of determining level-based variables of the spells you cast.
If you choose to cast spells as a sorcerer, the DC for saves against your spells is 10 + your Cha modifier. You know two 0-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer/wizard list.
If you choose to cast spells as a wizard, the DC for saves against your spells is 10 + your Int modifier. You have a spellbook with three 0-level spells of your choice from the sorcerer/wizard list. You prepare your spells exactly as a wizard does.

Temple Training
Prerequisites: Wis 10, patron diety
Benefit: You gain a single orison spell slot per day, as a Cleric. Thereafter, you are treated as a cleric of your divine spellcaster level (minimum 1st) for the purpose of determining level-based variables of the spells you cast.
The DC for saves against your spells is 10 + your Wis modifier. You know three 0-level spells of your choice from the cleric list, and require a divine focus to cast.

Or is it not worth it? Advice, opinions, abuse?

CapnZapp

Legend
If this is for Pathfinder 1: I would expect ten years of splatbooks to have produced such feats already, probably multiple variations thereof.

If this is for Pathfinder 2: you're in luck, this is covered by the core rules already.

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
If this is for PF2, there is no arcane spell failure in armor any more.
And although you need a 14+ in either INT, CHA or WIS, you can now take a spellcasting dedication feat as early as 2nd level and get a couple cantrips to toss around. Almost seems like a must-have for characters you want to be able to do a little of everything.

aglondier

Explorer
No, it's for PF1. I haven't found any references for a feat that does what I am looking for. I would appreciate if anyone could point one out to me.

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
The typical way to add just a dash of spellcasting in PF1 is to dip one level of a spellcasting class, like wizard. This will give you cantrips and a couple 1st-level spells, but more importantly the ability to use all wizard-oriented magic items like scrolls, wands & staves without needing to resort to a lucky UMD roll. Your BAB will lag by one point, as will your access to additional attacks, but hey, it's a trade-off.

The second way (especially if you have a good CHA score) is to train up the UMD skill, and just bank on using tons of low-level items. And I say "bank" for a reason, you'll need to invest some gold in those items to get the spellcasting you want. But that's true for both suggested PF1 methods of adding spellcasting to a non-spellcaster.

Remove ads