D&D 5E Capping Hit Points

I guess one obvious result of implementing a system like you have in mind would be opening up the idea of 'called shots' where an attack is made against a specific part of the body e.g. "I go for his weapon hand" or "I try to take her knees out" - something D&D has never supported despite a few vague wave-at-its in the distant past.

Long ago I tried a simplistic called-shot system in a 1e-like game. It lasted maybe two sessions. Complete mess. I learned that to do it right required, in effect, assigning separate AC values and hit point numbers to each body part; and life is too short for that. :)

I've never been a supporter of called shots. After over thirty years in law enforcement plus military service, and extensive work with various melee weapon systems as a hobby, I don't really see it as a viable option (except perhaps in dealing with approaching zombies, where the actor is unhindered by enemy action).

Highly-trained individuals can, as history shows us, make head shots under combat conditions, but otherwise, I'm not inclined to allow it.

I've always handled head shots in game by assigning a hefty penalty which ensures that only high level types can consistently pull it off, which jibes with reality.

In other games that track HP by body part, sure. But since HP is so abstract in D&D, I don't go for called shots either. Stuff like, I target his hand so he drops his weapon but doing no damage, maybe depending on context. But target his head to get an insta-kill shot, no.

In other games that track HP by body part, sure. But since HP is so abstract in D&D, I don't go for called shots either. Stuff like, I target his hand so he drops his weapon but doing no damage, maybe depending on context. But target his head to get an insta-kill shot, no.

I don't do insta-kills either. Head hits do double damage once past any armor soak. Otherwise, there's no body part targeting.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
I told my players that we need to fix HP if they want high level play. They agreed reluctantly. This reduced the super-hero vibe for 15th+ level a bunch:

Hit Points and Hit Dice​

PCs gain hit points and hit dice normally until 9th level. After 9th level, PCs only gain a certain number of hit points for each additional level, and do not get Constitution bonus hit points for those higher levels. After 9th level, PCs do not gain additional hit dice.

Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock - 1 hit point / level
Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Paladin - 2 hit points / level

Yes, I played ADnD when it was out in the 80s :)

PonSquared

First Post
1) Cap at 100hp, but then give CON bonus each level after?

2) Stop rolling for hit dice after reaching 10th level then then CON bonus only after?

jgsugden

Legend
Power Word Kill certainly becomes more lethal with a 100 hp PC cap...

I'd make it clear to the players that the higher levels are going to be much more lethal, especially for the melee classes. If I knew these were the rules, I'd make PCs with a much higher defense focus.

dave2008

Legend
Power Word Kill certainly becomes more lethal with a 100 hp PC cap...

I'd make it clear to the players that the higher levels are going to be much more lethal, especially for the melee classes.
I don't know if @Jd Smith1 is still hanging around (this thread is a year old), but I think that is what they are going for.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Mausritter has a nifty system for soft capping HP (and since the game is derived from others it probably has precedent): when you gain a level you re-roll HD, which max out at 5, and if the new total is larger you use it.

Remove ads