• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Car chases and obstacles

snak

First Post
How have you run car chases in D20 Modern?

I'm thinking of a wandering monster type of obstable table for those times when routes aren't preplanned.

Each round of a pursuit the lead car makes a roll on the road hazard table. The pursuing vehicle may also need to react to the obstacel, but might receive a bonus. Additionally the lead vehicle may try to bluff the pursuing car into hitting the obstable via opposed bluff/sense motive or spot checks.

This roll is modified by situational and terrain modifiers such as rain, snow, construction, rush hour, school zone etc.

Please add your obstacles.

1. Amish buggy.
2. Bus load of nuns.
3. Deer Crossing.
4. Merging traffic.
5. Traffic circle.
6. The mother of all pot holes.
7. Geese.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Ambulance
Fire Engine
Snow Plow
Slow-moving Farm Tractor
Crossing Guard and School Children
Infamous New York City Pot Hole
Rail Road Crossing
Men-At-Work

Edit:
"Bridge May Freeze Before Road Surface"

Last edited:

Skywalker

Adventurer
snak said:
How have you run car chases in D20 Modern?

The chase scale vehilce rules in d20 Modern are very good.

Sometimes when I don't need that much detail I keep track of the distance between the two vehicles. The lead car can make stunts and if the following car doesn't match then they loose 1 square in distance. I also throw in obstacles sometimes to force stunts. If the lead car gets more than 5 squares away the chase ends.

takyris

First Post
Other things to add:

Homeless person with shopping cart

Mom with baby stroller

Pinhead pedestrian who thinks that because he's using a crosswalk he doesn't have to bother looking at the frelling street first

Funeral procession

Lame slowdown because there's a highway patrol officer parked on the side of the road and everyone is abruptly slowing down to the speed limit, messing up traffic for miles

-Tacky, who lives in California...

Doughty247

Explorer
I took some of the ideas posted so far & added some of my own. Here's a list of 20 possibilities.

1. Merging traffic
2. Mother of all potholes
3. School bus
4. Traffic circle
5. Stop sign/Traffic light
6. Railroad crossing
7. Road construction
8. Funeral procession
9. School crossing
10. Ambulance/Fire truck
11. Farm tractor/Amish buggy/snow plow/etc.
12. Visible speed trap
13. Unseen speed trap
14. Accident
15. Wild animal-Deer/geese/dog/etc.
16. Kids playing
17. Mom with stroller
18. Oblivious pedestrian/Homeless person
19. Rollerblader/biker/jogger/skateboarder
20. Known enemy or ally in nearby car

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Fruit cart or some other street vendor (fruit could splatter on the windows, obscuring the driver's vision:)).
Collapsed scaffold from a building front.
Octogenarian driving the wrong way...
Delivery truck spill (marbles, beach balls, chattering teeth, soda bottles, jacks :), you name it).
Gang fight that's spilled into the street.
Water main break / flooded section of street.
Naked person (Will save to avoid?). Hehe.
Protestors.

How many times will I edit this to add stuff? Yeesh.

Last edited:

snak

First Post
Let's not forget the Oil tanker or gasoline delivery truck.

Looking down the list so far I'm seeing some really great obstacles the lead vehicle could cause for the pursuer.

Taking that attack action to perform a stunt to collapse the scaffolding, upturn the fruit cart, or crash the fuel truck could make for loads of fun.

Remove ads