Cartography - Why the focus on Renaissance?

Short off topic note: Basically there are people who have simultaneously abused and insulted others in bigoted fashions over stereotypes (which is the actual bad behavior) while simultaneously or sequentially adopting and being inspired by the flavors and colors of the cultures they are treating badly (nothing wrong with the later element really). There are also people who faux adopt in-order to mock (also bad behavior). And there are people who seem to fail to differentiate innocuous or even positive from the malign and others who just say be careful.
IOW, usual humankind. The good with the bad. Vote design and stay ahead of the curve. :)

Hussar

Legend
Wow. Way to drag politics into a conversation boys. Shame on you. Even straight up going for the dismissive language that is in direct violation of site rules.

That does take a brass set I suppose. Or mind boggling stupidity. Those are often indistinguishable.

Wow. Way to drag politics into a conversation boys. Shame on you. Even straight up going for the dismissive language that is in direct violation of site rules.

That does take a brass set I suppose. Or mind boggling stupidity. Those are often indistinguishable.
No one explicitly said that was about politics until you said this comment. At least nit that i noticed. I saw a possible reference to problem behavior. Not politics. Actually i think you are being dismissive. But im not going to complain about it. Also please dont assume gender. My name is a reference to vecna. He's my favorite d&d god as well as wizard. Plus i really like vancian casting's influence on the game.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm an enormous fantasy map dork. I LOVE maps. And, yes, I spend far too much time perusing image searches for fantasy maps. :erm: :D

But, one thing that really sticks out in my mind is when people draw urban maps, nearly all of them are Renaissance era architecture. To give an example, here is a very, very cool isometric map:

k8gj4klsjpt31.png

Super cool map. Love it. But, like nearly all maps, it's stuck in the late 15th century. Why doesn't any do earlier era maps? I would love to see some urban maps based on 10th or 12th century architecture. Or even earlier - Roman empire era maps would be fantastic.

If anyone knows a good place to find these sorts of things, don't be shy, let a feller know.
I'll take this one: because the mapmaking software has Renaissance-style buildings in it by default. As far as I can tell, that goes for all of them and u less you make customer buildings yourself, it's what you have.

At least, that's been my experience with the 3-5 cartography programs I've pirchased. Unsurprisingly Campaign Cartgrapher is best about it, but it's still a bit of an issue.

I'll take this one: because the mapmaking software has Renaissance-style buildings in it by default. As far as I can tell, that goes for all of them and u less you make customer buildings yourself, it's what you have.

At least, that's been my experience with the 3-5 cartography programs I've pirchased. Unsurprisingly Campaign Cartgrapher is best about it, but it's still a bit of an issue.
Id like to hear more about campaign cartographer. How big of a map can you make with it? What level of detail can you apply to it? Can it have notes attached to individual spaces (been looking for something that allows for that especially)

Here's one in CC of Rauxes that was done by a friend (later) from my original that appeared in WG8 Fate of Istus based on the appended B/W I did in Superpaint (bitd),

rauxesBcolor.jpg
City of Rauxes.jpg

Remove ads