Cartoons as RPG Settings

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think She-Ra and the Princesses of Power could be mapped to D&D pretty easily. Adora/She-Ra is a Pact of the Blade Warlock/Paladin multiclass, Catra is a Tabaxi Rogue, Entrapta is a Battle Smith Artificer (though I'm not sure how you'd mechanically emulate her hair), Sea Hawk is a Swords Bard/Swashbuckler, Double-Trouble is a Changeling, Perfuma is a Druid, Bow is an Arcane Archer (or maybe Artificer/Battlesmith multiclass), et cetera.

I'm not sure which system would fit best, but The Boiling Isles from The Owl House could easily be a TTRPG setting. The coven system is just begging to be translated to a TTRPG somehow. Possibly D&D, if you replaced the classic schools of magic with the different covens. Then there could be a few different races you could choose to play as; Human, Witch, and Biped Demons (maybe Grimwalkers, too).

Amphibia would easily translate to D&D. One of the characters even refers to herself as an Artificer/Rogue multiclass in the second season, so the world and characters would be easy to make a setting book out of.

aco175

Legend
1654479113508.png
1654479195830.png

Aldarc

Legend
I think She-Ra and the Princesses of Power could be mapped to D&D pretty easily. Adora/She-Ra is a Pact of the Blade Warlock/Paladin multiclass, Catra is a Tabaxi Rogue, Entrapta is a Battle Smith Artificer (though I'm not sure how you'd mechanically emulate her hair), Sea Hawk is a Swords Bard/Swashbuckler, Double-Trouble is a Changeling, Perfuma is a Druid, Bow is an Arcane Archer (or maybe Artificer/Battlesmith multiclass), et cetera.
thirsty_sword_lesbians_tabletop_game.jpg

produkte_bild3_55968.jpg

kronovan

Adventurer
This series -Dorohedoro- which I'm currently watching on Netflix...
dorohedoro-title.jpg

...It's the most bizarre anime I've watched in some time. It's Urban Fantasy, but it's got a strong punk vibe to it to the point that I feel it's some sort of Magic-punk subgenre.
The main protagonists are a man named Caiman who has a reptile's head (you eventually learn why) and a strange Sorcerer hiding within his body. I'm not far into the series, but he's continually captured enemy Sorcerers and stuffed them in his mouth so that the Sorcerer within can inspect and confirm whether they're the one he's looking for - very, very weird!
The other is a woman named Nikaido who dresses in turquoise coveralls, is a martial arts wiz and owns a hole-in-the-wall called The Bug. She specializes in gyozas, which Caiman is happy to eat all she can cook and never pay his tab, to the point that she's teetering on bankruptcy. But strangely, she seems very cool with all of that - say what !?
The antagonists are Sorcerers who work for a boss Sorcerer named En, who's deep into the culinary shroom biz. He seems happiest when he's reclining on one of his giant shrooms and puffing on jars of who knows what...
dorohedoro-Boss-Sorcerer.jpg

For some reason the Sorcerers in En's employ must always wear masks. There's apparently a right way and a wrong way to wear a mask and the antagonists are very conscious of it. Otherwise when they take them off, they're perfectly normal looking folk...um...except for the person in purple in this pic, who after removing their max proves to be a rather, fit and chesty Amazon of a women.
dorohedoro-Sorcerers.jpg

The story is set in a poor and crowded district within a city simply known as "The Hole", which sort of has a look like one of those Brazilian favela's. This is a picture of one of The Hole's nicer hoods.
dorohedoro-TheHole.jpg

I can envision running it with a number of the TTRPGs I own. But I'd need to have the right group of players, because every aspect of the setting is weird, if not down right bizarre.

Last edited:

fun fact.

replacing elves with gummi bears in your dnd game makes it more awesome. :D

80's cartoons are amazing for basic premises.

I took the plant monsters from Jason and the wheeled warriors, mixed in palladium's mechanoids and rebranded them as Treannials.

I took Sectaurs and turned them into invaders to create the Void Covenant (complete with cast pored weapons).

and of course, my single most favorite silly anime became a monster in my game: renamed proprietary Templars

As for one 80's cartoon that hasn't been used, would you settle for a thought experiment making a composite 80's universe?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Cartoons. Pirates of Dark Water. Silverhawks. Blackstar. Bravestarr. Thundarr the Barbarian. Thundercats. Voltron. Battle of the Planets.

Systems. FKR. Over the Edge 3rd Edition. Fate. TinyD6.

Remove ads