• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caster Level of Mindbender Hexblade

Tagnik

First Post
I have searched hi and low to find the answer to this and I am finally posting here after 3 days of looking..

Can someone tell me the caster level for a Hexblade5/Mindbender10 ?

and what about a Hexblade10/mindbender10?

Yes, this character has Practiced Spellcaster Feat (+4 Caster level)

IcyCool

First Post
Umm, is this a trick question? In order to find the caster level of the character, you take your caster levels from Hexblade (which is half your Hexblade level, as per the "Spells" entry for Hexblade in the Complete Warrior) and you add the caster levels that Mindbender gives you (Mindbender ups your caster level by one every other Mindbender level (1st level, 3rd level, 5th level, 7th level, 9th level).

So Hexblade 5 gives a caster level of 2.5 (round down) = 2.

Mindbender 10 adds 5 caster levels, so total caster level (before Practiced Spellcaster) = 7.

If you add Practiced Spellcaster (+4), your caster level becomes 11. Note that while your caster level is 11, you'll still only know and be able to cast the spells of a 7th level Hexblade.

For a Hexblade 10/Mindbender 10, your caster level (with Practiced Spellcaster) = 14, and you have the ability to cast the spells of a 10th level Hexblade.

Sithobi1

First Post
Actually, I'd say that Mindbender adds onto Hexblade, so:
1)Hexblade effective 10=CL 5+Practiced Spellcaster 4=CL 9
2)Hexblade effective 15=CL 7.5(7)+Practiced Spellcaster 4=CL 11

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
ThirdWizard said:
Huh. So can a Paladin 10 take Practiced Spellcaster to have a caster level of 9? I never thought of that...

Absolutely.

Sithobi1 said:
Actually, I'd say that Mindbender adds onto Hexblade...

Unless Mindbender has special rules, then yeah.

For example, let's say we have a Paladin/Sorcerer/Mystic Theurge. How do we calculate his Paladin caster level?

"This essentially means that he adds the level of mystic theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly."

So if he's a Paladin 4/Mystic Theurge 6, we add the level of Mystic Theurge (6) to the level of his divine spellcasting class (4), and determine caster level accordingly.

He has the caster level of a 10th level Paladin - CL 5. Not the caster level of a 4th level Paladin (CL 2) + 6.

-Hyp.

IcyCool

First Post
Sithobi1 said:

Aha! So it was a trick question!

IcyCool

First Post
Tagnik said:
So is it 11 or 14?? I'm still confused.

Sithobi1 is correct.

Sithobi1 said:

The caster increases from Mindbender increase your casting ability "as if you had gained another level in your chosen casting class". So, Hexblade 5/Mindbender 10 results in a caster level of 5 (Mindbender adds 5 caster increases, so you have the casting ability of a 10th level Hexblade, which means your caster level is 5) and then add +4 for Practiced Spellcaster for a total of caster level 9.

A Hexblade 10/Mindbender 10 results in a caster level of 7.5 (round down to 7). Mindbender adds 5 casting increases, so you have the casting ability of a 15th level Hexblade, which means your caster level is 7.5). Then you add the +4 for Practiced Spellcaster to get a total caster level of 11.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads