• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

casting from a spellbook

irdeggman

First Post
Didn't we just go over this question within the last month or so?

Since my account hasn't been "fixed" yet I can't perform the search to find the old threads on it.

We really need a FAQ pinned thread for things like this. :)

irdeggman

First Post
Magic items and spellcasting works way differently in 3.x than it did in the earlier editions.

For one making a magic item costs xp now where it used to award xp before.

Spells are only in 2 different types - arcane and divine (let's not avoid the exception - Eberron artificer where they are "neither" despite Andy's Sage Advace article).

Wands can be used by anyone who has the spell on their spell list (there is no such thing as a clerical or a wizardly wand anymore). Anyone can attempt to use one via the Use Magic Device skill.

There are spontaneous casters now (sorcerer, bard, favored soul, etc.)

They don't require books to learn spells and deceipher the magical scripts would be strained at best if allowing the direct casting of spells from spell books. Can sorcerers cast a spell from a spell book? They never use them so why should they be allowed to?

irdeggman

First Post
As for the OP's question and the applicable text:

The applicable text is in the PHB pgs 178+ on arcane magical writings.

And on 177-178 for preparing wizard spells.

Bad Paper

First Post
You can only cast spells from a scroll because it is a magic item: specifically, a spell-completion item. A spellbook is not a magic item; it is a notebook. (Yes, OK, BBB is a magic item, but it's a notebook with enhanced capacity, not a spell-completion item)

IndyPendant

First Post
I think the issue here is the flavour people have for a wizard's spellbook. Since flavour text can justify anything (see my sig), let me have a bash at what I think a spellbook is. That, I believe, will help explain why you can't cast a spell directly from a spellbook.

A spellbook is a how-to. It's a set of instructions that describes how the owner casts his spells. Magic is very complex, however, and also very personal. And by definition, it is arcane--in the wierd and bizarre sense of the word. Thus, the set of instructions does not consist simply of "move arm in manner A, while twiddling fingers in motion B", but requires words and descriptions for the manipulation of arcane energy that the 'common person' simply cannot even fathom. Thus, special materials are required as well as extensive descriptions.

However, each mage also approaches magic differently as well. While one mage might capture the magical energy, flow it down his arm, and thrust it forth from his finger as a magic missile, another might shape the magical force in front of him and push with his whole body to thrust the missiles at his target. Thus, when a wizard is forced to borrow another's spellbook (with a slightly different set of instructions) he needs to know enough about how magic works (represented by a Spellcraft check) to be able to adapt those instructions to his own use.

What spellbooks are not is a storehouse of magical energy. That comes from the wizard. You could not cast a spell directly from a spellbook any more than you could start a fire directly from a textbook that describes how to light a fire using sunlight and a magnifying glass. Just like you still need the magnifying glass and sunlight to start the fire, you need to have the magical energy stored inside you to be able to cast the spell.

A spellbook is a set of instructions, a how-to. It's a glorified textbook.

werk

First Post
Endur said:
3.0 totally messed up the spellbook/scroll distinction. 1e was so much better on this point.

Actually, I think they cleaned it up rather than messing it up.

You can't cast from your spellbook in 3e...distinction made, definitively.

If you try to play 1e using 3e rules, then things definitely get messed up...or at least, messy.

nyc-roleplay

First Post
IndyPendant said:
A spellbook is a set of instructions, a how-to. It's a glorified textbook.

I like your description and agree with you, but I have to ask "if a spellbook is just a notebook" then why does it cost a significant amount of money to write in it?

Currently, to transcribe a 3rd level spell like Haste from a scroll into my "notebook" it would require purchasing the scroll for 375gp and then spending an additional 300gp to copy it. This sure gets expensive quickly.

Page 179 in the PH:
"Materials and Costs: Materials for writing the spell (special quills, inks and other supplies) cost 100gp per page."

Infiniti2000

First Post
nyc-roleplay said:
I like your description and agree with you, but I have to ask "if a spellbook is just a notebook" then why does it cost a significant amount of money to write in it?
Better yet, why does it cost 800gp to write one word into your spell book: "blind".

;)

power word blind

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads