D&D (2024) Casting time of 1 round.

When we look at the spell list, casting times of 1 round are absent.

In 3.x especially summon spells used that casting time.

In 5.0 we have 1 action summon spells (in my opinion a bit overpowered) and 1 minute casting time (in my opinion a bit underpowered).

What would be the advantage if you need one round?
The casting of such a spell would allow other's to disrupt the casting of summon spells (as casting such a spell would require concentration) although the caster technically does not spend more actions than they would for a single action spell.

Actually the summon spells are not that problematic, as you can still disrupt them later. But there are other spells, that could really benefot from such a casting time:

-teleport
-dimension door
-plane shift

... come to mind.

If you don't want to add another casting time that might be overlooked,

those spells could work like true strike:
You cast it and need to keep concentrating for a round and if it is your turn again, you disappear.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Comparing true strike favorably to anything is a bit of a problem - It's one of the worst designed spell in 5e. Casting it is literally worse than simply not casting it and attacking twice!

But as to the actual point?

I like having spells like teleport dimension door etc. take the round to cast. makes them slightly less ridiculous escape spells, heightens the drama etc. Of course, that makes spells like dimension door no longer eligible for contingency - which is likely to cause some gnashing of teeth in a higher level campaign - but them's the breaks.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think its a good idea, but I tend to be very strict for caster and try a bunch of houserules to make 5e magic feel....well...magicker.

My preference would go to (again, I realize that I'm very hard on casters):

0) Buff most damage and healing spells 1dX.
1) Most spells requires 1 action, but the effect happens at the end of the turn or Initiative -Spell level. Bonus Action spell and reaction works the same as basic rules.
2) Concentration halves speed.
3) Add an action. Focus: As a bonus action, you give yourself advantage on your Concentration check on the current turn. You can use this bonus action only if you haven't moved during this turn, and after you use the bonus action, your speed is 0 until the end of the current turn.

4)* Rituals cant be cast with spells slots and requires a number of hours to cast equal to their level and a check at the end to see if it works. Spells with casting time of 1 minute or more are not rituals. Rituals expend components calculated in gp worth of special reagents (like in 4e) depending on the skill check required (sacred incense, mystic herbs, alchemical reagent etc) Bard who can cast rituals do not expend materials, but must have an instrument worth the material cost of a ritual.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If want to get radical you could split the round into 3 phases, and each combatant chooses what stance they’re in in phase 1, which includes any spell that takes 1 round to cast, which would be fairly common.

Aggressive stance characters go Phase 1. Neutral characters round 2. Defensive/protective in phase 3 but can interrupt an action in phase 1 or 2.

Anything complex, or taking a stance that puts you behind the defensive line, puts you in round 3.

Each phase is simultaneous, and the phases overlap a bit.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
If want to get radical you could split the round into 3 phases, and each combatant chooses what stance they’re in in phase 1, which includes any spell that takes 1 round to cast, which would be fairly common.

Aggressive stance characters go Phase 1. Neutral characters round 2. Defensive/protective in phase 3 but can interrupt an action in phase 1 or 2.

Anything complex, or taking a stance that puts you behind the defensive line, puts you in round 3.

Each phase is simultaneous, and the phases overlap a bit.
There's always the Fast/Slow turns of Shadow of the Demon Lord that could be an option.

Fast Turn: Only Action and Reaction
Slow Turn: Move, Action, Bonus Action, Reaction

Casting a spell is only possible in a slow turn.

Initiative goes like this:
1) Players Fast Turn,
2) Enemy's Fast Turn,
3) Players Slow Turn,
4) Enemy's Slow Turn
End round.

When we look at the spell list, casting times of 1 round are absent.

In 3.x especially summon spells used that casting time.

In 5.0 we have 1 action summon spells (in my opinion a bit overpowered) and 1 minute casting time (in my opinion a bit underpowered).

What would be the advantage if you need one round?
The casting of such a spell would allow other's to disrupt the casting of summon spells (as casting such a spell would require concentration) although the caster technically does not spend more actions than they would for a single action spell.

Actually the summon spells are not that problematic, as you can still disrupt them later. But there are other spells, that could really benefot from such a casting time:

-teleport
-dimension door
-plane shift

... come to mind.

If you don't want to add another casting time that might be overlooked,

those spells could work like true strike:
You cast it and need to keep concentrating for a round and if it is your turn again, you disappear.

IME full round spells are just confusing at the table (from 3rd Edition), since there seemed to be two types of full-round spells, one easy to disrupt and one not? Opponents can ready actions to disrupt the spells you mentioned. (Teleport and Plane Shift, IMO, should be "ritual only", 4e style. As for Dimension Door, that's an escape spell and should be quick to cast, again IMO.)

If summon spells are overpowered, IMO they should be rewritten to not be overpowered. I wish 3e had the concentration mechanic that 5e used. If you can only summon one monster at a time, the spell would have been a lot more balanced.

I'm reminded of Warhammer Fantasy 2e, where a "routine" test gave a +10% bonus (when a typical PC starts with a 35% bonus in an average skill). I've had three GMs and every single one of them forgot this rule. Sometimes a rule just gets too confusing to actually be used.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think its a good idea, but I tend to be very strict for caster and try a bunch of houserules to make 5e magic feel....well...magicker.

My preference would go to (again, I realize that I'm very hard on casters):

0) Buff most damage and healing spells 1dX.
1) Most spells requires 1 action, but the effect happens at the end of the turn or Initiative -Spell level. Bonus Action spell and reaction works the same as basic rules.
2) Concentration halves speed.
3) Add an action. Focus: As a bonus action, you give yourself advantage on your Concentration check on the current turn. You can use this bonus action only if you haven't moved during this turn, and after you use the bonus action, your speed is 0 until the end of the current turn.

4)* Rituals cant be cast with spells slots and requires a number of hours to cast equal to their level and a check at the end to see if it works. Spells with casting time of 1 minute or more are not rituals. Rituals expend components calculated in gp worth of special reagents (like in 4e) depending on the skill check required (sacred incense, mystic herbs, alchemical reagent etc) Bard who can cast rituals do not expend materials, but must have an instrument worth the material cost of a ritual.
Force a concentration check if hit while casting a spell... if they crit fail they lose the spell slot, if they fail normally the spell is just aborted, if they succeed their spells targets get advantage on saves.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

I am considering the phrase all casting requires focus which leaves one open to attack by aware enemies nearby, and triggers opportunity attacks. (Then use the concentration check and effects I already mentioned)

Also adjusted Prone casting so that it grants your target advantage.

Remove ads