Castles and Crusades Classic Style Box Set

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It is monster stat block compatible with most of the other OSR D&D pseudoclones and retroclones.
C&C is crazy compatible with everything through 3E, which is one of its biggest strengths.

If I went back to it, I would probably use the Monster Overhaul as my bestiary, plus the grue from Monsters & Treasure. (After backing Classic Monsters, I discovered that I really don't want to use Fiend Folio or Monster Manual II monsters for the most part nowadays. My DMing style has evolved.)

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Just came in. Frickin' gorgeous.

System seems easy from what Ive read so far. Like a rules light 3rd ed that uses OD&D as it's race/class inspiration.

Ive got to read more of it because it seems like the best you ever get is a 50% chance at skills/saves/etc and that can't be right. I'm sure more will reveal itself as I read more than just the character creation booklet.

Looking forward to running some old 3E adventures, which I believe are easy to convert?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Just came in. Frickin' gorgeous.

System seems easy from what Ive read so far. Like a rules light 3rd ed that uses OD&D as it's race/class inspiration.

Ive got to read more of it because it seems like the best you ever get is a 50% chance at skills/saves/etc and that can't be right. I'm sure more will reveal itself as I read more than just the character creation booklet.

Looking forward to running some old 3E adventures, which I believe are easy to convert?
It's AD&D, not OD&D, as you'll see as you go on.

Saves are and remain hard in C&C, which is one of the criticisms of the game. It's easy to change, though. It's a system that is incredibly friendly to house-ruling.

And yes, there are conversion sheets out there for 3E to C&C (I believe Goodman Games has one on their old message board, which you can still find via Google), but basically, just lop the bonus hit points and bonus damage off of 3E monsters and you've got a good approximation, although the 3E adventures will still be somewhat tougher than a C&C adventure would be at the same level.

Remove ads