• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castles and Crusades (NDA is lifted - ask questions, get answers)

RFisher

Explorer
rangerjohn said:
How can there be no stats, when the stats are so important to the game? They are basing saves and skills, off stats that I know about, probably more.
I'm not privy to much about C&C monsters, but I will point out that under classic D&D & oAD&D (which inspired C&C) monsters generally worked under simpler rules than PCs.

e.g. A girdle of hill giant strength gave a PC a 19 Str with a +3 to hit & a +7 to damage. A hill giant's chance to hit was the same as any other monster with the same HD (no bonus from Str) & did 2-16 points of damage per attack (not a minimum of 8 like a PC with equivalent Str).

(& yes, I understand that some people feel this was a flaw in the system. Some people, however, see it as a feature. & some people house rule it some other way.)

rangerjohn

Explorer
RFisher said:
I'm not privy to much about C&C monsters, but I will point out that under classic D&D & oAD&D (which inspired C&C) monsters generally worked under simpler rules than PCs.

e.g. A girdle of hill giant strength gave a PC a 19 Str with a +3 to hit & a +7 to damage. A hill giant's chance to hit was the same as any other monster with the same HD (no bonus from Str) & did 2-16 points of damage per attack (not a minimum of 8 like a PC with equivalent Str).

(& yes, I understand that some people feel this was a flaw in the system. Some people, however, see it as a feature. & some people house rule it some other way.)
Even then they were given a range of stats. For example a creature might have been said to have an exeptional intelligence. Which I believe was 13-15. The bad thing is, in previous editions, this information was scattered all through the rules. You might find the carrying capacity of giant in one place and its ability to knock down a door or even a wall in another.

RFisher

Explorer
rangerjohn said:
The bad thing is, in previous editions, this information was scattered all through the rules.
Even if I knew the answer, I might not be able to say. But my rule of thumb is that if you didn't like the way something was handled in OD&D, B/X, BECM, oAD&D, and AD&D2e; chances are you won't like the way its handled in C&C. Like all rules of thumb, it is far from perfect, but there it is.

On the other hand, don't be surprised to sometime find a fan website or Crusader article that addresses just that issue, whatever it might be.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads