Castlevania

xigbar

Explorer
I haven't made any clear cut decisions on what the final boss is, but a Vampire is in keeping with the Castelvanie feel to the design I'm going for. Dungeonscape has a lot of things i'm looking for, although I'm still trying to make different parts of the castle segway neatly, as opposed to a lot of sudden drastic changes in the environment. If anyone has any cool ideas for "mini-bosses," of which their will be many, please share those as well. Anything dark/gothic that you might find in a giant castle.

RedTonic

First Post
"Vampires suck"? Xigbar, be careful that you're not having wrongbadfun with your group.

I've heard that the legos dungeon thing can really, really click with a group. Every time I whip out the legos, though, I have to contend with stepping on and vacuuming up tiny blocks in the next three places I move to.

I'm sure that you don't want to try to make this a Castlevania clone, but I thought that the Legion fight (the colossal glob of corpses) was actually a pretty amazing fight. Perhaps you could get the same effect with one of those giant shambling corpse/tombstone mounds? (I forget what it's called, so I guess I'm being a little useless here--I think it's in the Libris Mortis, though.) Just no flying medusa heads... Those were awful.

An elaborate clockwork encounter might be pretty cool; a gear & pendulum room for the inner workings of an enormous vanity clock, perhaps guarded by reskinned inevitable types, necessitating movement skill checks during exploration and combat. If a macguffin is necessary to coax your players into an area, stopping the clock to deactivate castle security measures/stop a doomsday countdown/reduce the power at the vampire lord's command or getting through the chamber to a secret alcove holding A Very Important Item may suffice. I'm sure you have a cooler reason you could use as well. The clockwork room would be a cool way to introduce a more dynamic (and vertical!) aspect to the encounter.

xigbar

Explorer
"Vampires suck"? Xigbar, be careful that you're not having wrongbadfun with your group.

I've heard that the legos dungeon thing can really, really click with a group. Every time I whip out the legos, though, I have to contend with stepping on and vacuuming up tiny blocks in the next three places I move to.

I'm sure that you don't want to try to make this a Castlevania clone, but I thought that the Legion fight (the colossal glob of corpses) was actually a pretty amazing fight. Perhaps you could get the same effect with one of those giant shambling corpse/tombstone mounds? (I forget what it's called, so I guess I'm being a little useless here--I think it's in the Libris Mortis, though.) Just no flying medusa heads... Those were awful.

An elaborate clockwork encounter might be pretty cool; a gear & pendulum room for the inner workings of an enormous vanity clock, perhaps guarded by reskinned inevitable types, necessitating movement skill checks during exploration and combat. If a macguffin is necessary to coax your players into an area, stopping the clock to deactivate castle security measures/stop a doomsday countdown/reduce the power at the vampire lord's command or getting through the chamber to a secret alcove holding A Very Important Item may suffice. I'm sure you have a cooler reason you could use as well. The clockwork room would be a cool way to introduce a more dynamic (and vertical!) aspect to the encounter.

I WAS going to have a Clockwork Tower :D. I don't want to clone, but it wouldn't feel quite right without at least a Vampire mini-boss. also, for the record, I design campaigns for fun, so this is not currently in group use of any kind, but I'd like it to be.

xigbar

Explorer
Bumping. I really would like some mass input advice. I've mapped hundreds of dungeons, but I need everything to flow smoothly on such a large project, and only the more knowledgable players even KNOW about this website.

Dragonwriter

First Post
If anyone has any cool ideas for "mini-bosses," of which their will be many, please share those as well. Anything dark/gothic that you might find in a giant castle.

Keeping to the Castlevania feel (and having recently played SotN), I suggest the following bosses/mini-bosses:
Hellhoud/Nessian Warhound (possibly a beefed-up Skeleton version, too)
Medusa
Griffin/Hippogriff (Advanced, possibly an undead template)
Flesh Golem
Doppelganger(s)
Minotaurs (Barbarian charger-style) and Werewolves (Monk/Rogue) working together

And RedTonic, I think the Corpse Gatherer (MM2) fits Legion pretty well. :)

xigbar

Explorer
Keeping to the Castlevania feel (and having recently played SotN), I suggest the following bosses/mini-bosses:
Hellhoud/Nessian Warhound (possibly a beefed-up Skeleton version, too)
Medusa
Griffin/Hippogriff (Advanced, possibly an undead template)
Flesh Golem
Doppelganger(s)
Minotaurs (Barbarian charger-style) and Werewolves (Monk/Rogue) working together

And RedTonic, I think the Corpse Gatherer (MM2) fits Legion pretty well. :)

Thank you! Those are some great suggestions, and I'm certainly going to use most, if not all of them.

Remove ads